Venting a gas hot water heater

Page 1 of 2
I just had a new furnace installed, it is a direct vent so all I have is my 40k btu 50 gal gas hot water heater to vent. I was wondering if I could use 4" B-vent out of my heater and up threw my roof. It would be about 12' total.
I just had a new furnace installed, it is a direct vent so all I have is my 40k btu 50 gal gas hot water heater to vent. I was wondering if I could use 4" B-vent out of my heater and up threw my roof. It would be about 12' total. Or do I have to go bigger than 4" .
Why do you want to heat hot water?

Heard ya the first time.... and the answer is no
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

4" is perfectly fine for your application. make sure you use a 4" b-vent roof jack and storm collar and b-vent top. i believe the code specifies 2' above anything within 10' of the vent termination.
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:20:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

C'mon fish. Where'd you come up with that "4" is perfectly fine" mumbo-jumbo? Fact is you are just guessing. You need to consult the gamma tables to get it right. 4 inch may be too big and allow unneeded condensation and improper draw on the vent. You'll notice that using the Gamma tables located here: http://icpindexing.mqgroup.com/documents/076416/gama%20vent%20tab.pdf Your "4 inch" guess is able to handle anywhere from 70,000 to 112,000 btu depending on theactual lateral and vertical length of pipe which the OP didnt give. The 3 inch will handle 36,000 to 58,000 btu again depending on the actual vertical and lateral lengths. Stop using those "Thumbs" and get the facts. Bubba :-)

the facts are Bubba, his install sounds exactly like how mine is installed only my vertical is closer to 5'. off the wawa heater is a 3", to which I installed a couple single wall 3" -45's into a 3x4 plug reducer then 4" b-vent. but yeah, :-)

Its not rocket science.
Bubba posted for all of us...

It's not rocket science but it is radiation!

There is absolutely no problem venting it that way. As long as the Bvent is interior and not exterior and it does not exceed 6" diameter and your single appliance exceeds 30,000 btu's there is no problem. You must ensure there is no spillage or downdraft.
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
DANgER wrote:

huh?? the b-vent usually starts near the appliance on the interior, then penetrates the roof to the exterior!
what dou YOU run on the exterior, single wall?

Exterior is hillbilly-style.
By interior I mean bvent that is heated by the house, usually runs down the middle. Exterior is run on the outside of the house, cold.
And I call single wall venting, CVENT.
If you have a chimney liner, I would say you need to size it properly, but bvent is fine.
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
On 16 Jan 2007 04:38:57 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Kinda running for "tard" of the year award? 6" on a 40,000 btu water heater? Wow! The mind wobbles........... Bubba
Ahhhh bubba, your an idiot in every post you make. I don't understand why you waste your time here. You are an incompetent.
http://www.tssa.org/viewNews.asp?IDb
Click the "Sizing Of Interior B-Vents And Metal Lined Chimneys" link and read the PDF. It clearly backs up what I am saying.
TSSA is the authority where I live. I guess bubba is the authority in bum fuck nowhere!
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
Just for shits and giggles bubba, how you you vent his water heater? The draft hood is 4", his bvent is 4". Don't be so damn jealous of 4".
LOL
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
Dip shit! A 50 gal gas heater under 40,000 btu isnt 4". You're dumber than 2 boxes of rocks Fuckin retarded Canadian If you're going to lie, do your homework. Bubba
On 17 Jan 2007 04:17:08 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

UUmmmm....Bubba...there a thousands of 50 gallon wh's vented with 4".... Unless it's a 40 gallon low input heater, all 40's and 50's that I've seen in the last 20 years are 4" venting....conventional type of course..
--
Respectfully, Bob

Around here, even the low input 40g tanks come with a 4" draft hood. bubba's an idiot...period.
I even gave him literature to read, which clearly explains the original question. bubba still hasnt told us how he would vent it.
poor bubba!
hated by the home owners, hated by the techs...why do you even post here?
LOL
-Canadian Heat
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
On 18 Jan 2007 00:41:50 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Typical fuckin dumbass Canuck. You couldnt understand the English language if it jumped up and bit you in the ass but then you Canadians do everything backasswards. Bubba