UV light on HVAC question

Page 2 of 2

Real Pisser wrote:

Is this some kind of a Christmas thing? Being cruel to dumb animals and Mormons? Merry Christmas Stormy, and the rest of you folks too.

Something special for Stormy from the tonight show & Conan Obrien and Oren Hatch
www.jewlicious.com/2009/12/jews-sing-mormon-christmas-song-in-honor-of-sen-hatchs-hanukah-song
Thanks! I near to fell off my chair, laughing. The Tapernacle quire was a hoot.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Awww Stormy finally found a boy friend. How sweet. lol
The King wrote:

Some kinda talk from a guy whose Union meetings are held at a Bath house.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Are you saying that you will look them over? ;-p

Jay-T wrote:

Note final three paragraphs.
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airclean.html
Pollutant Destruction
Some air cleaners use ultraviolet (UV) light technology intended to destroy pollutants in indoor air. These air cleaners are called ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) cleaners and photocatalytic oxidation (PCO) cleaners. Ozone generators that are sold as air cleaners intentionally produce ozone gas, a lung irritant, to destroy pollutants.
Ozone is a lung irritant that can cause adverse health effects.
* UVGI cleaners use ultraviolet radiation from UV lamps that may destroy biological pollutants such as viruses, bacteria, allergens, and molds that are airborne or growing on HVAC surfaces (e.g., found on cooling coils, drain pans, or ductwork). If used, they should be applied with, but not as a replacement for, filtration systems.
* PCO cleaners use a UV lamp along with a substance, called a catalyst, that reacts with the light. They are intended to destroy gaseous pollutants by converting them into harmless products, but are not designed to remove particulate pollutants.
* Ozone generators use UV light or an electrical discharge to intentionally produce ozone. Ozone is a lung irritant that can cause adverse health effects. At concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone has little effect in removing most indoor air contaminants. Thus, ozone generators are not always safe and effective in controlling indoor air pollutants. Consumers should instead use methods proven to be both safe and effective to reduce pollutant concentrations, which include eliminating or controlling pollutant sources and increasing outdoor air ventilation. Visit www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html for more information on ozone generators sold as air cleaners.
In-duct Pollutant Destruction
UVGI cleaners may not reduce allergy or asthma symptoms.
There is no standard measurement for the effectiveness of UVGI cleaners. Typical UVGI cleaners used in homes have limited effectiveness in killing bacteria and molds. Effective destruction of some viruses and most mold and bacterial spores usually requires much higher UV exposure than is provided in a typical home unit. Furthermore, dead mold spores can still produce allergic reactions, so UVGI cleaners may not be effective in reducing allergy and asthma symptoms.
There is no standard measurement for the effectiveness of PCO cleaners. The use of PCO cleaners in homes is limited because currently available catalysts are ineffective in destroying gaseous pollutants from indoor air. Some PCO cleaners fail to destroy pollutants completely and instead produce new indoor pollutants that may cause irritation of the eyes, throat, and nose.
Hell Toupee wrote:

Thanks. I went to the link which seems to give a lot of information. It's a little unclear when they mention UGVI cleaners whether they mean those cleaners in the duct system or a UV light in where the coils or drip pan are.
This part of the quote that you posted was interesting:

Jay-T wrote:

Most manufacturers of these devices have a chart depicting how many and what size of units to install. I generally intall two units in a standard 1500 to 2000 square foot home. Do the homework first.

I can understand how a UV light would help by preventing growth in and around the coil. I personally doubt that bacteria, respiratory viruses, etc., spread by coughing/sneezing, etc., would be diminished. What is the velocity of the air stream (ft/min), so the contact time in about 1 linear foot or so, is nil.
HankG wrote:

Not my area of expertise. Like I said the hospital use them...So your premise may not be valid. Suggest you seek out and pay for expert advice. The manufacturers should be able to give professional references.