The use of JET A for Fuel Oil Furnance?

-------------------------------------
I know this sounds wierd but I'm a helo Mech. and get fuel sample every day and have a 55 gal drum full about every year. Jet A is the same as disel fuel just filtered more. It would very cheap for me if this is possible. Hope someone can give me some feed back..Thanks
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 25556 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Jet A has too low of a flash point... it would be like running gasoline in your furnace, however JP-5 will work just dandy when you correctly adjust your air mix. JP-5 has almost exactly the same characteristics as #2 diesel.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/diesel_fuel.htm This page mentions some substitutes, for vehicles.
From what I could find, jet A flash point about 38C, where fuel oil is about 60. It's possible that the fuel would work fine, but I would not want to risk it. It may very well burn too hot, or too cold for the usage. Diluted a bit (1 to 10) your furnace might not notice the difference.
The web page above said jet a would work well in Dodge diesel engines.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus