symptoms of overcharged refrigeration system

Page 1 of 2
I am trying to repair a fridge in the jungle of costa rica and have minimal tools/gages. it uses a 12 volt danfoss compressor and R134a refrigerant and doesn't cool even though the compressor runs.
Is there any danger to just adding refrigerant blindly to the system? What are the symptoms of an overcharged refrigeration system? Is it hard on the system? Will it blow a fuse? Will it lock up the compressor?
thanks!

Yes. It doesn't work right. Yes. Maybe/Maybe not. Maybe/Maybe not

Dear dingus,
This calls for the groups resident expert Stormy. He will be along directly. A problem ticket has been issued.
Your tracking number is: OIC-eieio-br549
Please be patient.
Thank you.
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:07:25 -0500, "Rick Snodgrass"

Overcharge can kill a compressor.
What tools and gages do you have?
Before we proceed, you have to give me your order ticket number. It should have been assigned already.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Oh, a bianese chastard
Blast! I didn't get my ticket number, yet!
Nevermind all that perfectly good advice (just kidding).
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

You're in Costa Rica, the land of hot young chicka's, and you expect ME to feel sorry for you?
Anyway, you lucky prick, what are you reading on the low side?
Hate wrote:

The problem i have in costa rica is basically finding anything other than beautiful girls and other wild animals. transportation is hell, trying to order something over the phone is nearly impossible. all business is done in person and anything imported (like gages) is very expensive. i have been trying to find the gages for a week with no success yet after spending about $50 in travel. i just thought that there may be an easy 'old school' way to diagnose my system without gages. i do have an ammeter. do you think if i charged the system until the amperage draw on the compressor started to increase rapidly that would be a sign that my system was charged?
Well, that's a challenge and a half. Since you're not in the US, you likely won't get in any trouble venting freon. Just try not to be seen.
If it's a house hold refrigerator, most of those run about 6 ounce of freon. What do you have for new freon, and any way to weigh it?
at this point, sounds like what I'd do with no tools would be to very quietly release all the refrigerant out of the fridge. Is your access valve on the small or the large line, or on the side of the compressor? If it's on the side of the compressor, or on the large line you can add vapor while the system is running.
Keep the tank with the closed end of the tank towards the ground, and the valve up towards the sky. Slowly add vapor until the small line coming off the compressor gets about too hot to touch. Also watch the ammeter, stop if the amperage gets to about 80% of the FLA (full load amps).
That's my best advice with what you told me. The big line coming back to the compressor probably will not get cold while the fridge is running.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I nominate AKS for the "Miss Ray of Sunshine" award. Do I hear a second?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Wot? a good massage by the right girl will always help, even if you have run dry.

Bob: if I ever meet with you I will buy you a large drink Your are my man. Dido

Well, you do realize that the award comes with a $50 gift certificate to any gorgeous babe's massage parlor in Costa Rica. Oh, and bring your gages and charge weight scale and refrigerant leak detector. You're also gonna charge a refrigerator while you're there.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

So you want Stimpy to massage you? Sounds like a happy ending to me.

Have you ever hear clich beggars can't be choose Dido
I hope you don't think I'm going to beg you for a massage. Even if you meet me in Costa Rica and wear a grass skirt and no bra.
Wonder how the fellow is doing with the refrigerator charge?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.