Slight air leak on the duck.

Hi, Is there something like temperature stable putty I can use instead of duct tape to seal small air leaks on the duct? (screw holds, joints, etc.)
Aluminum tape is better
And I have to ask...is it a Canadian duck or Mallard?

daytona wrote:

Hi, I used Al tape. But for some cases tape is not much help. Mallard is more colorful. Lots of water fowls in front of my house. Bow river flows past my house. One of the best trout fishing ater.
There is a product called Thumb Gum....but really don't recommend for ductwork. The AL tape is nothing like the Duct Tape. Duct tape is a fiber material and the Al tape is thin metal substance...very sticky
Use duct mastic "DP1010". But it is approved for use on metal only, not flexible ducting. Around the plenum areas' you'll find start collars that leak tremendously more than some minor joint connections. Try locating this area, and sealing with duct mastic. Comes in a one gallon container and you can paint it on using a paint brush. Keep in mind the material is thick from the factory. Do not thin with water.
Aluminum tape is approved for use on duct board and such. UL181 approved tape is a better choice for flexible ducting. Come 120 yards to a roll. Do not use rubber backed duct tape without using mechanical bands. Home depot I believe does not sell UL181 tape. They sell a product they "call duct tape."
--
Zyp

"daytona" < snipped-for-privacy@excite.com> wrote in message
Zephyr wrote:

Yeah, but he's looking for duck tape! I guess he wants a bill...

Duck tape is not all its quacked up to be
Zephyr wrote: <snip> Home depot

So try Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId192-133-95192&lpage=none

I just bought a half gallon of DP1030, UL 181 listed, Water Based Duct Sealant Says its for metal air duct, flexible duct, and fiberglass duct board It is a thick, gray material. I bought it to seal up some duct, which I assume are fiberglass duct board (They are boxy shaped tubes).

Mastic Sealant
Tony Hwang wrote:

Yeah Tony, there is: all the bullshit you spew can plug a lot screw holds, joints, etc.