Refrigerator not working again

They even put two cigarettes in the rations back then. What I had in basic and survival training was Korean war vintage and still came that way. It was funny watching the nicotine addicts try to smoke tobacco that was older than them. They would light up and get one puff before the entire cigarette was gone. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Here's a link to where I was, I'd really like to go back there if I could. My health would have to improve before I could even consider traveling anywhere. Dang! I loved that place.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A late friend of mine paid the price for being a smoker of everything. He developed emphysema and told me, "Never try to smoke a cigarette when you're hooked to your oxygen machine, the cig only lasts about one second." 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A couple miles from me, is a day care. In a building formerly used by Orkin pest control. I keep wondering if those kids will get mystery cancers later in life. Someday I should stop by and talk to the management, see if they were told.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Let me guess. You are nearsighted, have allergies, athsma, and you are a picky eater?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WdnbxbXdP34j_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

WHAT DO YOU WANT A HANKY?

WILL YOU TWOB GET BACK ON TOPIC OR BLOW IT OUT YOUR NOSE AND GET BACK TO WORK. I DO NOT WANT TO COME HERE AND READ ABOUB YOUR GLORIOUS GRIM WAR STORIES. GET IT ON SOME WAR STORIES/HEROES GROUP WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FRIDGE HAPPENS

THE MANAGEMENT R.ROENTGEN [SORRY CAP-LOCK STUCK AGAIN,DON'T KNOW WHY] ;/

Reply to
Randy

jeff_wisnia fired this volley in news:i7tsel$s1t$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

It's easier to just stand on one leg, Jeff.

A guy had an apprentice. The guy had shown the apprentice over and over that when you're working on 440 or above, he'd stand on one leg, do the switch-overs/etc., then go back to both legs.

One day, the guy was sick enough to have to spend a day in the hospital. The Apprentice took the job due on that day; and he ended up in the same hospital about noon on the day of the job, from a shock injury.

The guy heard about it, and visited his apprentice, who recounted the scenario. He said, "I stood on one leg, just like you showed me!".

The guy says, "Damn, son! Don't you know I have a wooden leg?!"

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

One of my Dad's friends had two wooden legs. He was in world war II, and crashed a plane. Lost both legs below the knee. He told me one time how he went to pull a bulb out of a socket (bulb broken, still energized). Grabs it with pliers, and yells and throws the pliers across the room. Guess the wooden legs didn't help much.

Some woman yelled at him, he was parked in a handicap spot. He asks if she thought a wooden leg was a handicap. She agreed it was. "I got two of them, so there!" was his reply.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Isn't it amazing, after all, that _one_ RCM'er posts a request to his peers for advice on an aging fridge, and the alt.hvac folks think they MUST require him to receive "professional service" on his no-longer- necessary refrigerator?

It's not, really; considering that they want a "piece" of every refrigeration job out there, even if their services are not only not needed, but certainly not WANTED. They want their government-guaranteed "slice of the pie", and you're damned if you don't use them.

IG... not for nothin', but you need to remove that alt.hvac from your newsgroups posting list (not like I did _not_ this time ). They're thieves, liars, and incompetents. And... FWIW... they RULE the industry, in all their malfeasant glory. The gov'mInt makes it so! Long live the EPA!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I don't know what country you're living in, but where I live (see sig) I can't do anything without a building permit, having a building inspector approving it and making visits to see that the ordinance has been followed before a CO (Certificate of Occupancy) is issued. The CO applies to buildings, sheds, fences, and electrical work, among other things. Sure, you can skirt these issues, but it will all come back to haunt you if you try to sell the property. Property cannot be transferred without a CO covering everything done to the house since the original house plans were submitted for approval.

Reply to
willshak

Yeah, who else would fill a psrking with broken ice boxes and such., to recycle them?

Back upstairs., I guess if daddy would have used his fingers around the edge of the the broken bulb without a plier to short the contacts his prosthetics would have protected him. I'd Frame the pliers if he quit because of thst one little short;/ R.

Reply to
Randy

willshak fired this volley in news:MumdnWEYtNXtNj_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

inspector

He must be living in the high parts of the Ozarks.

Around here, they've even begun "Google Earth" enforcement of construction permits. If their differential comparisons of different years' satellite photos show any buildings for which permits were not pulled, they tax you back to the date of the last photos NOT showing the construction, start fining you for violations on the day they discover it, make you abandon use of the structure, and go through the whole process (including even tearing down anything that hides construction details, like drywall, roofing...). They don't stop fining you daily until you've passed for a CO on the building. They make sure that takes at least twice as long as it should. AND, should there be any reason why a permit would not normally be issued for the construction - like easement encroachment, elevation issues, etc. - they make you tear it down.

We're in a really depressed, backward rural community. I can only imagine how it would be in an area where zoning people treat these issues as a form high entertainment.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

NY US

I didn't realize that Orange County was run by the unions, too.

You do realize that Orange County is not the whole country?

Local government's full employment policies at work.

Reply to
keith

RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

You sound like you enjoy living in Nazi Germany.

Reply to
keith

keith fired this volley in news:00e7a73a-9e67-400e- snipped-for-privacy@x42g2000yqx.googlegroups.com:

Not at all, and the county people know I (and we, collectively) do not appreciate their heavy hands. We have a cadre of about 60 people who faithfully attend council meetings just to keep an eye on the bastards.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You can check the EPA database and see the status of some buldings, and the last EPA permit for that location.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

messagenews:0vWdnbxbXdP34j_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

So, it's true that HVAC types don't undersnad kill filters. Anyone with 1/20 of a brain can filter out crossposts to any group they don't like.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some do, some don't. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There are a lot of fires in hospital rooms and nursing homes caused by that. They had to remove a neighbor from his home and put him under supervised health care, because he kept ending up in the hospital because he refused to quit. It's a wonder the place didn't burn down. He always had a cigarette in one hand, and the oxygen mask in the other.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If it were, don't you think we'd have checked before calling in a $60.00 house call? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise