Radiator use as a cooling coil

Page 2 of 2

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ummmmmm
Dew Point....look it up, think about it....say it again....it was funny the first time too.

Chilled water systems are more common in steam ejector systems. Ammonia systems (flooded evaporator) usually circulate brine. Calcium chloride works well for brine. Glycol or alcohol antofreezes could work, but have lower heat transfer coefficients. Pumps use energy.
Waste heat from steam boilers is commonly used to chill water, for refrigeration. Efficiency is low, but at least it's not counter-productive, since waste heat is recycled, rather than vented.
Ever been in the Navy?
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Nope. I never use 1/4" thick steel sheet metal to build my air ducts either. 8)

So you've never used 1/4" thick condoms to ride the WAVES, either, I can safely presume. Good for you! :-)
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
~^Johnny^~ posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

--
Tekkie

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:30:36 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

By pissing on it.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
The coil is going to remove humidity. You have to figure a way to catch and drain the condensate.
I would like to know where you are going to dump that much water? You have unlimited water supply, what kind of drainage system do you have? What a waste of natural resources
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Heh, heh...
I designed and manufactured dehumidifiers for a living. Getting rid of water was an issue for me. Of course, the water contained tannins, from the hardwoods. Anything that can vaporize, can be redissolved in the condensate, as the air is recirculated.
Normal HVAC is at lower inlet (return) temps, and we're not jerking organic matter, so I digress.
I'm just forking with you.
But I just wanted to make the point that condensate can be too much, sometimes, and should be treated as wastewater.
HVAC condensate could probably be considered graywater, and used to water plants or be returned directly to the ecosystem. But it's only distilled water, _IF_ the return (supply) air to the evaporator coil contains no water soluble (polar) gases.
A room dehumidifier puts out essentially distilled water. An air conditioner (window shaker), or lumber dryer, does not. At least, I wouldn't drink the stuff, or even bathe in it.
If it's not too acidic (a little HNO3 is OK for acid loving plants), you can water certain plants with it. Even rainwater contains trace amounts of nitric acid (dissolved NO2). This is not a problem, except in extreme cases, where we have "acid rain".
But you're right: HVAC condensate is pretty much distilled water, unless the inhabitants are heavy smokers, or do some other weird stuff. But then, we are talking about central HVAC. The more zonal you get, the more all bets are off.
Bob, have you discarded your Brita filter yet? <g>
I don't think so! Or maybe you drink straight tap water from the faucet (gag). Nah, you use your condensate. Dang! I should'a known better.
OK, forget it. I'm just #*&%^$@ with you. I'm bored.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
The coil should be in the plenum, so that you don't cool the furnace, and cause condensation on the furnace heat exchanger. You'll need some kind of condensate drain under the radiator. Other than that, it sounds workable.
I knew a family who heated their house with a remote burner. They had a wood stove with a couple loops of tubing, out in the garage. Burried a water line from the detached garage to the house, and used a radiator in the house with a fan. The man would get up early and go fire up the woodstove with oil, tires, etc. Some kind of water circulator pump to move the heat from the garage to the house.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

The tongue should coil the frenum. She really blows well, then.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
fellates thee though?
Bob

Where's my raincoat?
Dhoti see that I'm Sari? He doesn't under stand, I can hardly maintain.
Will duct tape suffice? No, Probably not. I'd rather screw it. But tape it anyway. I need an airtight alibi. I don't lie with others.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Simple answer Roy is yes you can use radiator. However as you asked were would you mount bloody thing and how, cost for ducting may cost your money that you do not want to spend. You can use the water for cooling but you should consider buying proper coil that is made for that and then you should also consider water cost if you are paying for it, nothing comes for nothing remember that Good luck from DIDO www.cas-environ.com

Simple answer Roy is yes you can use radiator. However as you asked were would you mount bloody thing and how, cost for ducting may cost your money that you do not want to spend. You can use the water for cooling but you should consider buying proper coil that is made for that and then you should also consider water cost if you are paying for it, nothing comes for nothing remember that Good luck from DIDO www.cas-environ.com

to add a chiller,a cooling tower,a few pumps,control valves and few other items.
On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:22:08 -0400, "digitalmaster"

:-)
Yeah. A 12 foot cooling tower with a 5 HP water pump. That'll cool your 5 ton condenser quite well, indeed. How efficient! NOT...
Ever cinnamon with so much wit? It does nutmeg much difference. Ammonia novice at it. But nothing is Freon this planet, so have at it, my friend. You have my permission.