Power plug wiring

As I am not in America I do not know which connection are active and neutral on your power plugs, so looking at the wirings side of the plug please let me know which way they are connected.
0 0
0 Earth
Internet is your friend: http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/technical/americanplugwiring.html
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Internet is your friend: http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/technical/americanplugwiring.html
Thank you 'friend' :-)
Interesting that here in Australia the colours are quite different, it used to be red Active, Black neutral, and green earth.
It was changed a number of years back, maybe when we swung over to the metric system.
Now it can be red or brown active, black or blue neutral, and the earth is a striped cable yellow and green.
The phases used to be Red, Blue Yellow, but seeing that the new earth cable is striped with yellow that became white. You cannot use yellow any more.
That striped (Green/Yellow) cable is great for colour blind people who could have problems with the red/brown and green.
I have an American DVD player and need to wire up to a trannie to the US power point to supply power to it.
I bought in in the US 3 years ago and it is about time I got it running :-)
Thanks for the info.
I am thinking of all the various electricians. Cursing the people in the other country who get the wiring colors wrong, and all the extra work needed to rewire what the other people did wrong. Every time an appliance crosses into the other country, it gets rewired to "make it right". . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]

It would be nice if there was an International colour of wiring, from memory the Italians used to use red for earth, here red being an active.
Wiring around the world
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring
There again we have a heap of different currents around the world different voltages and frequencies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

I'd be really suprised if you couldn't just plug it directly in (with the appropriate power cord). Most modern electronic appliances will accept 50 or 60hz 100-250VAC.
If I was you I would recheck that there are some power supplies that do work on wide range of AC voltages as you have outline but are limited to the power unless it says on it, particular item that it is changeable I would not do it unless you want to see smoke. The DVD that you have must likely is made in Asia it would be miracle that is made here in USA.
of Baal> writes:

"grumpy" wrote in message

It is a Panasoni, and the voltage is 120 volts. It was made in China.
It is also 60 cycles, but hopefully that will not effect things, if it does, well too bad.
I have run ancient US VHS players rated at 120 volts 60 cycles previously on 120 volts (Via a transformer) and 50 cycles and the only problem was the clock, it was running wrong because of the lower frequency.
I would not want to run larger electric motors or compressors on the wrong frequency as the 60 cycle motors run at higher speed than the 50 cycle ones, so in the case of a 60 cycle compressor run on 50 cycles it would have have less capacity, also I think there is less iron in the 60 cycle motors so they would tend to overheat if run on a lower frequency.
If you were to run a 50 cycle motor or compressor at 60 cycles it would run faster and the motor might not have enough power to drive the motor at the higher speed, or could burn out because it could be overloaded.
Yes there are some compressors that are rated at 50-60 cycles. I assume they have enough iron in them for either frequency and the motor is powerful enough to ignore what the difference in frequency is.
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message of Baal> writes:

Yes I know many things can be run on 110-240 volts, but unfortunately this one is only 120 volt.
Chris, Ramrod The problem is that Australia don't use 120VAC they use only 220VAC like Europe in most cases over here it would be Red & Black on 220 system and on three phase it would be Red, Black and Blue and in some cases maybe all one color all three phases, but color is use when phases may become issue that goes for 220 or 440 but standard for USA on 120 neutral is white Green is ground. Note the White Neutral and Ground are at same potential but ground Green should not carry any current at any time while neutral does.