One condensor = two evaporators?

I have an LG split aircon unit and matching evaporator. It is 9000BTU. I also have a spare matching evaporator. Question is can I split the refrigerant between the two? I appreciate this is far from ideal and may over work the compressor. But in the UK climate it would not be worked that hard. I could ensure that only one is used at a time? Views appreciated - thanks
You are joking right dido

Be interesting to attempt it. How do you plan on switching the the refrigerant line between the two?
Mozzer wrote:

And to what advantage? Save a few bucks on parts? I suppose it could work, if valved properly and such. But, I doubt it would be practical.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

No, you can not split the refrigerant between the two. Can you run each individually? Probably. You'd have to make each circuit exactly the same and be able to isolate/interlock each circuit, electric, controls, refrigerant lines, etc. I don't recommend it unless you are or have someone that is good with control circuits and refrigeration theory.
Mozzer wrote:

If it is not a VRV or "inverter" model then no. Seen some texas boyshack it in like that though, system ended up being ripped out and replaced.
Well now, wait a minute. I am not saying this the answer to this particular question. But, you can run two evaporators on one compressor. It would be highly inefficient in a residential application.
Barry

Mozzer posted for all of us...

Dazz nize

Mozzer wrote:

Thanks for *some* of the replies. I've installed several of these units and know the basics of pipe work, brazing etc. I intended to isolate the controls electrically but let the refrigerant flow (by 't' fittings) to each, just that one would not be running.
OK - it will not work it seems but am I to be shot for merely asking (by some above)? I only wanted pro advice.
Mozzer wrote:

The dude is right, it shall have an inverter control if not possible damage may occur on the other pcb of FCU (Fan coil Units) with has the inverter. Please do not attempt to do this. Inverter control are very sensitive.
I think it would be bad idea to simply T it. You might be able to pull it off using a a couple heat pump reversing valves. A T would not be balanced and the evaporator with the fan running would have very different charateristics from the one where the fan was running. It would probably freeze up and might also result in liquid refrigerant on the return side. All in all seems like more trouble than it would be worth.
Mozzer wrote:

How about putting them in series? Mark
Sorry, that wouldn't work either.

With enough money, anything is possible. You can do it if you want to invest the time and money to re-design the entire system. If you want a clue, think "multi-box refrigeration system"
Noon-Air wrote:

Thanks to all for the explanations/ideas which do make sense to me - anyone want a spare evaporator :(