Fridge condensor mods

One for the fridge engineers i thinks...

I have a 12 volt compressor fridge freezer in my motorhome, it's really sold as a boat fridge, designed to be free standing, as the condensor(s) are inside the sides of the fridge, rather than an open condensor on the back.

obviousely you cant have a freestanding fridge in a motorhome, so it's built in, i left as much gap between the sides of the fridge and the walls of the units, but it's obviousely not enough as the compressor runs a lot more than i'd like it to.

At the back of the fridge is a good 8 inches of space to the outside walls, in which are 3 very large vents, origionaly 2 for the old 3 way (gas and electric absorbtion fridge) and i added another lower down to line up with the compressor to cool it when i fitted the much taller fridge freezer.

i have a fan blowing over the compressor unit, as the destructions tell you to do, there's even an output on the compressor wiring for the fan to run it when needed.

it dosent take a rocket scientist to figure out that the fridge would perform a hell of a lot better if it could dump it's heat into the 8 inch deep (by 2 foot wide by 6 foot high) space behind the fridge which is vented to the outside, rather than through the walls of the fridge into the 2 inch gap then out to the back space.

What i'd like to do is add an extra condensor, an external finned type as found on most fridges, to the back of the fridge, can this be done???

i dont have my motorhome with me, but from memory there are only 2 pipes accesable, output and return on the compressor, these disapeer into the insulation and obviousely go to the evaporator plates and the internal condensors,

Would i gain anything by just routing the return ( output) from the fridge via an external condensor between compressor? i wouldent do this my self of course, but get a fridge engineer to do it for me, evacuating the refridgerant in my fridge first (it has a schrader type valve for this fitted from the factory) cutting the pipes and soldering the external condensor in and re-charging the system,

Reply to
gazz