NY Times article: tech's are continuing to use HCFC-22. EPA pissed

[NY Times]
The Environmental Protection Agency has tried to reduce use of this gas, HCFC-22, which depletes the ozone layer and contributes to global warming, by imposing strict quotas on its production. .... But what followed at Mr. Spector'a home circumvented all the agency's rules and good intentions: Instead of finding and repairing the hole in his aging unit, a complicated task, a serviceman pumped in more coolant, which leaked out by the next day. When Mr. Spector called around for another solution, a salesman offered to swap in a new condenser unit, but one that still used HCFC-22 - meaning one more American home would continue relying on an environmentally damaging coolant for years. =======rest: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/23/science/earth/air-conditioner-repairs-undermine-coolant-restrictions.html?pagewanted=all
Oh, and the article also claimed:
In the end, Mr. Spector bought an entirely new system, running on R-410A, the gas that has been used in almost all new machines in the United States since 2010 and is far more energy-efficient and better for the ozone layer.
Anyone know if R-410A is really "more energy-efficient"?
Thanks _____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key          snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Friday, November 23, 2012 10:49:39 AM UTC-5, Grumpy wrote:
Wrong. That's what epa is bitching about. You can still buy r22 units. They just don't come precharged any more.
http://www.goodmanmfg.com/ResidentialProducts/AirConditioners/13SEERGSC13/tabid/1492/Default.aspx
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote: My new 410a unit is a lot more efficient than my old r22 unit. At least my electric bill is about a half of what it used to be.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 01:36:44 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@fake.sig wrote:

compressor running 410A really using less electricity than one that's pumping R-22? I have a hard time with that but if that is the case I can think of a better application than refrigeration. Use that kind of technology to pull the deep oil out of the ground. Right now the cost to pump crude up to the surface is running closer and closer to the point of not providing the energy being used to draw that oil up to the refineries.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Let me inject piece of my mind on efficiency of any Refrigeration unit, Air-Condition or Low temperature equipment. I will estimate and go on lame to say that 80% of efficiency is in Condenser the other 20% is in compression ratio. Because R-410 operating at much higher pressures, compressors it self pumping ratio is reduced, there for compressor efficiency is increased, not only that but compression ratio playing large part in life expectancy of compressor. For this to be achieved condenser must have proper ratings. From my 40 years in field I have found just about on all older system condensers are under size, by switching to new systems, gains are almost immediately noticeable. Remember the efficiency comes from Refrigerant only because compressor is running at much lower compression ratio, Efficiency come from system at hole.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Let me inject piece of my mind on efficiency of any Refrigeration unit, Air-Condition or Low temperature equipment. I will estimate and go on lame to say that 80% of efficiency is in Condenser the other 20% is in compression ratio. Because R-410 operating at much higher pressures, compressors it self pumping ratio is reduced, there for compressor efficiency is increased, not only that but compression ratio playing large part in life expectancy of compressor. For this to be achieved condenser must have proper ratings. From my 40 years in field I have found just about on all older system condensers are under size, by switching to new systems, gains are almost immediately noticeable. Remember the efficiency comes from Refrigerant only because compressor is running at much lower compression ratio, Efficiency come from system at hole.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.