NY Times article: tech's are continuing to use HCFC-22. EPA pissed

[NY Times]

The Environmental Protection Agency has tried to reduce use of this gas, HCFC-22, which depletes the ozone layer and contributes to global warming, by imposing strict quotas on its production. .... But what followed at Mr. Spector'a home circumvented all the agency's rules and good intentions: Instead of finding and repairing the hole in his aging unit, a complicated task, a serviceman pumped in more coolant, which leaked out by the next day. When Mr. Spector called around for another solution, a salesman offered to swap in a new condenser unit, but one that still used HCFC-22 - meaning one more American home would continue relying on an environmentally damaging coolant for years. ======== rest:

Oh, and the article also claimed:

In the end, Mr. Spector bought an entirely new system, running on R-410A, the gas that has been used in almost all new machines in the United States since 2010 and is far more energy-efficient and better for the ozone layer.

Anyone know if R-410A is really "more energy-efficient"?

Thanks _____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein

HCFC-22, which depletes the ozone layer and

and good intentions: Instead of finding

pumped in more coolant, which leaked out by

offered to swap in a new condenser unit,

continue relying on an environmentally

It does not matters if is more efficient or not system with HCFC-22 or R-22 is no longer manufacture, if system need replacing it will be replace with R-410 if you like it or not Sorry but that is the way it is. Welcome to 20th century! _________

Reply to
Grumpy

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:54:40 -0500, danny burstein wrote: My new 410a unit is a lot more efficient than my old r22 unit. At least my electric bill is about a half of what it used to be.

Reply to
John

I would have a hard time believing that. Mechanical Advantage = Resistance divided by the effort. Look at your guages. Is a compressor running 410A really using less electricity than one that's pumping R-22? I have a hard time with that but if that is the case I can think of a better application than refrigeration. Use that kind of technology to pull the deep oil out of the ground. Right now the cost to pump crude up to the surface is running closer and closer to the point of not providing the energy being used to draw that oil up to the refineries.

Reply to
john

snipped-for-privacy@panix5.panix.com... > [NY Times] > > The Environmental Pr= otection Agency has tried to reduce use of this gas, HCFC-22, which deplete= s the ozone layer and > contributes to global warming, by imposing strict q= uotas on its production. > .... > But what followed at Mr. Spector'a home c= ircumvented all the agency's rules and good intentions: Instead of finding =

n pumped in more coolant, which leaked out by > the next day. When Mr. Spec= tor called around for another solution, a salesman offered to swap in a new= condenser unit, > but one that still used HCFC-22 - meaning one more Ameri= can home would continue relying on an environmentally > damaging coolant fo= r years. > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D > rest: >

> > Oh, and the article also claimed: > > In the end, = Mr. Spector bought an entirely new system, running on > R-410A, the gas tha= t has been used in almost all new machines in the > United States since 201=

0 and is far more energy-efficient and better > for the ozone layer. > > An= yone know if R-410A is really "more energy-efficient"? > > Thanks > _______= _____________________________________ It does not matters if is more effici= ent or not system with HCFC-22 or R-22 is no longer manufacture, if system = need replacing it will be replace with R-410 if you like it or not Sorry bu= t that is the way it is. Welcome to 20th century! _________ > Knowledge may= be power, but communications is the key > snipped-for-privacy@panix.com > [to foil spam= mers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Wrong. That's what epa is bitching about. You can still buy r22 units. T= hey just don't come precharged any more.

jamesgangnc

Let me inject piece of my mind on efficiency of any Refrigeration unit, Air-Condition or Low temperature equipment. I will estimate and go on lame to say that 80% of efficiency is in Condenser the other 20% is in compression ratio. Because R-410 operating at much higher pressures, compressors it self pumping ratio is reduced, there for compressor efficiency is increased, not only that but compression ratio playing large part in life expectancy of compressor. For this to be achieved condenser must have proper ratings. From my 40 years in field I have found just about on all older system condensers are under size, by switching to new systems, gains are almost immediately noticeable. Remember the efficiency comes from Refrigerant only because compressor is running at much lower compression ratio, Efficiency come from system at hole.

Reply to
grumpy