New House HVAC installation-Energy Savings advice

We are in the process of building a new home (modular). We are tearing down our existing home and intend on using the heat pump we purchased 3 years ago in the new house. The new house has a basement. We were looking for a way to tie in the natural coolness of the basement so that the cool basement air can be circulated through our ducts reducing our energy consumption in the summer. In the winter, we'd like to use a wood stove in the basement and also circulate the hot air from the wood stove through the house.

Is this feasible? Can we simply install an air intake above the woodstove and the basement air would just be pulled in through the system? BTW we are on top of a hill and do not expect to have problems with moisture in the basement (at least not as the result of leaking walls)

Reply to
mrscherry2000

Won't happen....it's not as cool as you thing...especially to be used in the other areas of the residence. Not worth the money input for the cooling output

Reply to
daytona°

Oh boy, should I even bother to read the rest of the posts?

Did a lot of research there you fundie idiot?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Sure... Just add a couple supply air grilles & more importantly a couple returns in the basement Mount those returns low... You'll get a little bit of cooling, but not a bunch as the basement will warm up. What will happen is you'll decrease the damp/dank basement space. The added cost for a couple supplies & returns are well worth it... Keep that blower on constantly, variable speed preferably, & further reduce the hot & cold spots.

good luck geothermaljones st.paul,mn.

Reply to
geothermaljones

Does the new home have the same exact heat load as the one you are tearing down???

aren't you the least bit worried about recirculating carbon monoxide also.

Do the the job right and have a properly sized and designed system installed

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo