i need help understanding what is wrong with my refrigerator

the simple symptom is inadequate cooling.
the details are:
1. the refrigerator is a 12 year old kenmore top freezer model with R134a system 2. just installed a new compressor and drier, my thanks to HVAC tech for brazing in 3. i triple evacuated and then charged with 4.0 ounces R134a, which was amount on sticker inside refrigerator 4. process stub has service port and new drier has service port, not piercing valves 5. ambient air temp over clean condenser coils 87 F 6. lo pres at process stub 3 psig 7. hi pres at drier inlet 185 psig 8. evap inlet temp is 30 F 9. evap outlet temp is 67 F 10. compressor outlet feels hot, drier feels hot, compressor suction feels warm 11. with evap cover off, only two of ten evap loops are frosting 12. condenser fan and evap fan are running 13. defrost timer and defrost heater are off, during the above readings 14. no problem with door seals
do i have a plugged line somewhere?
At this point, I'm thinking either dirty condensor, or maybe needs another ounce of non-freon.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
nucleus wrote:

Fairly simple:
You installed a new filter drier. Is it the same as the one you pulled out? The "Factory" charge includes "Factory components." If your replacement filter drier is 'larger' you'll need to compensate by adding a few more ounces. On the original package for your replacement drier there may have been a chart for how much liquid refrigerant the drier holds. You may need to add more refrigerant.
--
Zyp

drier is same size as original. condenser coils are clean (see #5). what is "normal" hi pressure for refrigerators? is my hi pres too high for my ambient temp?

High pressure depends on the heat load, and also the room temp. 185 is on the high end of the normal range.
Give it another ounce of freon, and let us know what happens.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
nucleus wrote:

Although you believe the liquid drier is that same, it may have different internal space than the OEM. No matter how you cut it, there's a required amount of liquid still needed from the metering device to the condenser. The liquid drier is part of that circuit.
--
Zyp

    'Liquid drier' is such a wonderful term ... :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
I never, for a second, doubted you. Very well done.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
nucleus wrote:

In the factory, the charge is fine tuned. The initial charge may be installed but the tech will tweak it. Heck, a repair should use the factory spec as a starting point. Darn finicky little refrigeration units. I like the big ones with a sight glass, receiver tank and a TXV on the evaporator. *snicker*
TDD
In many regards, the bigger ones are actually easier to service.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
nucleus wrote:

Quite frankly;
it depends if you have a high load or hot pull down on the box. As a general guide line, you don't want the condenser saturation any higher than 30 deg over ambient. When it's at design, [meaning the fixture temperature is cold at setting,] it shouldn't be much higher than 15 - 20 deg.
--
Zyp

That sure would explain the ref behaving like it's under charged. After all, the nameplate said only 4 ounces. Not a lot of room to work with, if it's high or low.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The refrigerator is BROKEN.