How to wire a White-Rogers multi-stage thermostat for basic furnace?

Page 2 of 2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010404000008010306090807 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I think the problem is that you can't answer a simple question, which is, should I connect R and C to the block, or the terminal strip? Both have screws to accept wire connections.
There's a level of confidence one gets after they've done something once or twice (successfully). It's a bit unnerving not having the display light up, and I can see that there's no return to the common side of the transformer, so perhaps if I hook up the black wire to C I'll be in business - at which point I'll probably have a question re: how to adapt the multi-stage operation to a single-stage furnace.
Thinking about it, though, I guess W-R has tapped off C and R to the block to power off-board devices.
I work with electronic technicians all day long (alarm systems), but when I asked one of the senior guys if he knew anything about heating/cooling systems his answer was "my furnace has a red wire and a white wire".
Questions from someone not "in the biz", may seem dumb, but you've probably heard that there's no such thing as a dumb question, only...
Noon-Air wrote:

--------------010404000008010306090807--
Pat Coghlan wrote:

Please don't top post. It's annoying. And that 'stat looks like it is for multi-stage specific application. Installer option does not show anything for single stage operation. I could be wrong. Tony, EE class of '66 Retired from Honeywell in '96

Oh my...

ROFL...... mine works just fine, I guess you just gotta be smarter than a temperature controlled, ON/OFF SWITCH
Noon-Air wrote:

Not a difficult task knowing how it works and with proper tools; DVM of course, 'scope and IC tracker. In the product description nowhere it mentioned anything for single stage operation.

I don't have a problem with troubleshooting boards at the componant level. I am still operating some of the HAM radio equipment that I designed and built from scratch over the last 30 years. A thermostat is still nothing more than a switch. A multi stage stat works just fine with single stage equipment. All I carry on my truck are multi stage stats so I can configure them for *ANY* application. Like I said before, you just have to be smarter than a temperature controlled, ON/OFF SWITCH

Ha! De WA4ZEG (inactive).
I knew there must be some electronics background there.
LLoyd
And I taught I was the only one here playing with toys KA2AYS (QRT)

n6ojn here

kumbaya?
Noon-Air wrote:

(Equivalent U.S. Extra class) It is not a matter of being smart, it is matter of being logical. Remember IBM's motto? "Think" Lately I am into fixing tube guitar amps for friends and neighbors.

To bad you can't seem to operate a simple ole multistage stat. LOL
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

My 'stat is can handle anything wireless. No wires on 'stat, Ma!, LOL! My wife carries it around the house.

Big deal...

So, your point is?