How to tell if heat pump compressor is "burned up"?

I read some time ago that if a compressor burns up, the F22 inside the sealed unit is contaminated with acid. Is this true? If so, how do I test for acid in the F22?
I have chosen to replace the outdoor unit; if acid is in the F22 in the indoor unit, does the sealed system of the indoor unit have to be flushed? If so, what is the system flushed with?
My heat pump outdoor unit blew the 240V 20 amp fuses and the compressor has an open "run" winding. There is no indication of any thermal damage to the orange paint on the outside of the compressor.
On Sunday, March 9, 2014 12:42:16 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Often you can smell it when you remove the compressor. There are a number of commercial products. Make sure you purge with nitrogen afterwards and pull a good vacuum. Most people will also install a filter/dryer too.
replying to infoforme121 , sc wrote:

You would need a ohm meter to read the terminals to ground. If you get a reading the compressor has burnt windings. If it tripps the breaker it is either burnt out or locked rotor. You would need an acid test kit to check for acid, however you can depress a acess valve and smell the refrigerant. If it is burnt (acid) you can smell it. You will need R11 flush to clean out the system and also you will need to install acid drier in the low side of the system and install a liquid linne drier in the high side of the system on the new unit. You can not tell if a compressor is burnt out by looking at it unless iit was hit by lightning.
--
Stan Chaney HVACR
Commercial Refrigeration & HVAC
replying to infoforme121 , sc wrote:

One other note, when you cut out the outdoor unit the indoor unit is also opened, it can not be isolated. The refrigerant will have to be recovered using special recovery equipment as it is against the law to release refrigerant to the ambient air. The entire system will have to be flushed using R11 flush agent.
--
Stan Chaney HVACR
Commercial Refrigeration & HVAC
---
replying to tony944 , sc wrote:

Tony, you are correct. I was refering to Rx-11 flush which works actually better than R-11.