Heat Pump vs Compressor

I need to replace my 2.5 ton air handler unit because the condensate pan is rusted out and water is dripping from the attic. The 2 ton compressor hasn't lost any freon in the past year and is working fine, but I'm thinking about replacing it at the same time because both units were installed in 1985. If I do, should I replace the existing unmatched system with a 2.5 ton compressor and 2.5 ton evaporator?
It was suggested that I consider replacing the existing heat pump with a regular compressor and use resistance heat from the 10 KW unit in the air handler. I'm certainly no expert but I thought that here in New Orleans (where the average winter low temperature is 46 degrees) is an idea place to use a heat pump. I would appreciate some advice on any of these issues.
E-mail me with a legitmate e-mail address I am in Hattiesburg, MS
--

Steve @ Noon-Air Heating & A/C
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

I would replace it with whatever my competent licensed professionally trained HVAC tech thought I should replace it with. Id be asking for a load calculation of my home to make sure that my costly investment turns out to give me a decent payback over the life of the equipment. Personally, Id be interested in a heat pump system if you have no fossil fuel available. Bubba
Bob Simon wrote:

1. Get aheat load/loss calc done. 2. Ditch the retard who suggested electric heat strips. 3. Go with the heat pump.
On 17 Oct 2006 14:54:57 -0700, "Power's Mechanical"

I"m in Phx so our winters are pretty mild.. I switched from heat pump to just electric strips and my winter bill stayed about the same and the heating capability is actually a little better.
Ashton;
It is likely that your 'original heat pump may not have been performing well. It the system is designed, installed, and maintained properly, then the savings are real. Unfortunately there are may contractors who hire people to perform related installations and repairs without the proper training. As a result, systems are not installed and maintained properly and fail to deliver the performance needed. The systems run too long [sometimes] and cost more than they should to operate.
--
Zyp

"Ashton Crusher" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net> wrote in message
COP IS 2-3 TIMES BETTER THEN RESISTANCE HEAT IF IT STAYED THE SAME THEN YOUR HEAT PUMP WAS NOT OPERATING CORRECTLY IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO USE A HEAT PUMP OVER RESISTANCE HEAT NORTH POLE OR MIAMI

On 21 Oct 2006 06:56:30 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Dipshit giving advice. This is almost comical...........and I didnt even buy a ticket for the show. Bubba

This is Dildo posting under another name. He's a special brand of stupid that can't be hidden by changing his name.
--
Respectfully, Bob

Ashton Crusher wrote:

Your heat pump is broken.
Bob Simon wrote:

Why do you need to replace the air handler? You should only have to replace the coil/condensate pan. I did this 2 years ago on an air conditioning system (no heat pump). I just put in a new A coil. Is there a problem with the air handler?
Art Todesco wrote:

I dont think its so much the air handler and instead has to do with a 7.5 seer condenser matched up with a evaporator at 13 seer or more. Thats not going to work well. Replacing just the evap is not a option for him. His options are to pull the evap and repair the old pan, make a new pan, replace the system. His wallet his decision.
IMO he would be ahead of the game by replacing the system.
YOUR BAND FROM POST JOIN BUBBA LOOK FOR CAP LETTERS THAT WILL KEEP YOU BUSY THEY GUY NEEDS A NEW SYSTEM AND I HOPE NONE OF YOU SIZE OR INSTALL IT MAN

You might think about it.
Bob Simon wrote:

If the 2-ton condenser/compressor cooled your home okay, keep it & just replace the evaporator. - udarrell
--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
udarrell wrote:

Bullshit. The new 13 SEER evaps are a gross mismatch to his original system SEER. You need to keep up to the times. There was an excellent artical on this over this past summer. The bottom line was if you do it and somehow make it work your really fucking over the customer.

God Damit udarrell. Are you that fucking stupid! You're even in the business (suposedly). READ it again. Its OVER 20 yrs old! Its in an ATTIC! Its LEAKING through the ceiling. What do you think the inside of that rotted, rusted, moldy air handler looks like? Maybe you're right. All the guy needs is some duct tape, caulk and a bucket. "Ding, Ding, Ding" I think you win the DARWIN award this month. Bubba
You could "patch" what you got. You could do a lot of things. But...
If your going to stay in the house, why not take the BIG step, replace the outdoor unit with a newer HIGH EFFICIENCY Heat Pump unit, [which by the way can have a COP of 3 or better - and an SEER of 14 or better] and replace the indoor fan unit and coil as well. If your contractor has his head on straight, he'd recommend a small electrical strip heater as supplemental heat for those cold days when the unit can't support enough heat. Not often in South.
A heat pump unit is more efficient, and will save you 40% or more on your electrical bill year round. Paying for itself in the long run [as opposed to running nothing I guess.]
--
Zyp