Heat pump making a clicking noise

The heat pump in my old electric Kenmore HVAC system is making a loud clicking noise. I can year it from a room on the second floor. I peeked inside and there nothing hitting the blades of the fan. The noise reminds me of a piezoelectric lighter for a gas stove

Does anyone know what could be wrong? Performance doesn't seem affected for now and it happens while heating. Too cold to try cooling for now.

Suggestions and advice appreciated.

Thank you

Reply to
Carpenter

How were you able to determine that it was the heat pump in the system that was making the clicking noise? There are many different parts in old electric Kenmore HVAC systems that could be making the noise you describe. One common source is the reversal commutation interface relay. How long has it been making this noise? What kind of thermostat are you using to control this system? Is it functioning normally, otherwise?

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

The noise is louder when I stand outside close to the heat pump, seems to come from a box on the side of the outside chassis.

Funny you asked about the thermostat, in November I replaced the old mercury based mechanical one with a programmable Hunter. My electric bill has been much lower since then.

The clicking doesn't happen all the time, but the system is functioning regardless..

Reply to
Carpenter

I know this does not help. It can be any number of things. It can be as simple as a piece of sheetmetal that has bent out of shape to the the bad news of compressor rod cap starting to knock. Do monitor your system to see if this clicking turns into a knock.

I do think an experienced tech would be able to pinpoint the cause for you. Obviously by posting, you may not know who they may be and since I do not know your general vicinity, I do not know if I can help you locate such a contractor. I do suggest asking neighbors and relatives, and double checking on Angie's list and Checkbook.com to see if the contractor is consistenet. I know of horror stories of relying on BBB or Chamber of Commerce, so I am sending you to consumer inspired sites. Of course, if you are in WNC, feel free to email me. :-)

There is a reality, that I feel it would be an injustice not to point out: 15y is the average servicable life for this piece of equipment. You have gotten a great life out of it. I suggest being proactive and start saving for the future for when it is time to replace this piece of equipment.

Reply to
becauseofjunk

You mean that guys don't what is that hahaha That is bin ladin sending mors code

Reply to
Tony

I am in a rural area those referral services don't have much for me if anything.

No, I am in North Texas, not exactly close.

Well, of two tech opinions one was close to yours, the other said I can push 10 more years or more...

Thank you for the advice, appreciated.

Reply to
Galaxy

If its "Kenmore" and the age it is, I would be willing to bet that its probably Goodman or some other bottom line, cheap equipment.... Start saving a lot of money for replacement... not knowing the capacity of the equipment, I can only guess that its going to run 7 - 10 THOUSAND DOLLARS to replace it with a new system....and thats providing that the ductwork was done right in the first place... if not, then add another $2500 - $4k for new correctly sized ductwork.

Reply to
Noon-Air

What did he say?????

Tony - I can't understand a single utter you said? What the f***?

Reply to
Zyp

So Noonie;

are you saying RHEEM / RHUDD isn't bottom feeder equipment?

Reply to
Zyp

Not Noonie, but are you saying you don't feel Rheem or "Ruud" are bottom of the barrel? In my experience Rheem has been a very reliable brand (have seen a lot of Ruud branded equip).

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

So, where can I find reviews of HVAC systems? I have a halt-ton, I am told for a 2000 sqft two-story house.

Reply to
Galaxy

Thats not what I said.... Its just my experience that Sears (Kenmore) uses the cheapest of the cheap(Goodman, Janitrol, Luxaire, Armstrong, etc), and the lowest bidder to do the work, yet they charge a premium price, PLUS they charge 24.9% interest on their credit cards.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Reply to
Tony

---corrected post

Reply to
Joseph

--corrected my post---

Reply to
Joseph

Ok - what's a "HALT - TON?"

Reply to
Zyp

Zyp posted for all of us...

That is when your ton unit comes to a grinding halt.

Reply to
Tekkie®