Cost for a new system

I am looking to replace a 40 year old furnace that is still holding on, and an air conditioner in slightly better shape. Our local electricity company (SMUD - in Sacramento, CA), is offering financing on a system with no money down and reasonable monthly rates. The system would be a 2.5 ton 15 seer air conditioner (ASX14 - i'm told it would be 15 seer with the new furnace in place), with an Amana 96% efficent variable speed furnace (AMV9). It would also cover checking and fixing any leaking ducts and a new thermostat. After all rebates/ tax refunds etc. the total cost with install would be $9,050, or $107/ month. It sounds like a good system but the cost seems a bit high. Does this sound reasonable for a new system in a relatively moderate climate of the central valley or should I keep looking?

Thanks, Ross

Reply to
Turaco

Wake up and smell the coffee sport, Your getting a deal.... your should look into dual-fuel

Reply to
Noon-Air

Call these guys, they will get you a better system and a much better deal.

SacTech

Just who I'd want. A company that advertises they will beat ANY estimate by $150. Also no address listed. Sounds like they will do their very best to cut any corner they can. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba, I wasn't gonna go there.... SacTech is most likely spamming HIS OWN COMPANY.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I for one never advocate paying "the most", but I do advocate paying to get it done right the first time, with a decent warranty, by somebody who actually knows what they are doing.

*USUALLY* its the buyers fault for going with the cheapest price without consideration of anything else. There is a reason they are told to do their homework.

The fault is in using the lowest bidder so the customer can pay the tech to gain the knowledge and experience they are supposed to have, instead of paying for a knowledgeable and experienced tech.

Occasionally posters come for opinions... but most are looking to get it done for free and get their panties in a wad because they are not told what they want to hear. Can you look through your 'puter screen and tell if they are *capable* of doing the job without causing dammage to life, limb, and/or property??

The distrust is because of getting screwed by the lowest bidder, and their crappy workmanship. Then there are the big companies that send out SALESnitions instead of TECHnicians.....the home-owner gets screwed into believing their 5 year old system is garbage because it had a leaky evap coil because it wasn't installed correctly and they need to replace it. There is a local Trane dealer here that is good for that, along with the miriad of unlicensed, uninsured techs that only work outside of the city limits because there is no code enforcement outside the city limits.

The only general belief that I have is that 1) your trying to stir the pot, and 2) you don't have a clue as to whats happening in the real world, and 3) you have nothing to do with the trade.

Now... don't go away mad, just go away.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Ken, Here's a vowel -------> " E ". Now go buy a clue. Tell me WHERE I said paying the most is a smart thing to do? My point was, dont look for the cheapest hack. In this industry, it's almost never a good idea. You should really read slower, stay away from the alcohol, keep on your meds and SHUT YOUR CAKEHOLE! Now, do you need someone to hold your hand while you try to scratch your ass? Bite me!.....Twice! Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba's always honored.

Why would he have to read them, as he *did* type them.

BTW, distrust comes from contractors ripping people off. I'm sure nobody gets taken for a ride at alt.hvac. I know for a fact I didn't have to pay anything to post here.

Reply to
<kjpro