Condenser Motor Or Capacitor?

Page 3 of 6

Nobody said you had to agree but think about it, you're claiming you need this money and yet here you are at the tail end of summer posting on the internet instead of doing jobs. If you can't get the work then advertise more. If there's just not enough work then welcome to the real world where not everyone has the job they wanted, or has more than one job.
This is not a difficult concept, what part about it are you getting stuck on? It's not something I need to know, it's something you need to think about. You (or a fellow HVAC Tech) lost a job because I felt I was overcharged. You (or a fellow HVAC tech) could've made $100 instead of surfing the internet. Don't tell me you have expenses because you (or a fellow HVAC tech) could've been doing a job for someone like me instead. That's $100 more than you'd have surfin' usenet so give it a rest, you're not fooling anyone.
Well now that I've managed to offend 4/5ths of the people here and there's really nothing more to say about the resolution to the HVAC problem, I'll make some people glad and go.

Nobody said you had to agree but think about it, you're claiming you need this money and yet here you are at the tail end of summer posting on the internet instead of doing jobs. If you can't get the work then advertise more. If there's just not enough work then welcome to the real world where not everyone has the job they wanted, or has more than one job.
____________
Who said I needed money? I just know how to run a profittable business that I don't have to subsidize with other funds. There is a difference that you can't seem to gasp. BTW, might this be my day off, not my shift yet or forbid me to live in a different time zone than you do... Hummm.... so many things that you have overlooked.
This is not a difficult concept, what part about it are you getting stuck on? It's not something I need to know, it's something you need to think about. You (or a fellow HVAC Tech) lost a job because I felt I was overcharged. You (or a fellow HVAC tech) could've made $100 instead of surfing the internet. Don't tell me you have expenses because you (or a fellow HVAC tech) could've been doing a job for someone like me instead. That's $100 more than you'd have surfin' usenet so give it a rest, you're not fooling anyone.
_______
We either charge what it cost and you pay it or you don't and you have to wait till you stumble across a fix. My system runs just fine. If I want to waste money I'll go to the range and not waste my time fixing your shit for below cost.
Well now that I've managed to offend 4/5ths of the people here and there's really nothing more to say about the resolution to the HVAC problem, I'll make some people glad and go.
________
About time.

YOu did when you chose or defended a price that is excessive. There's nothing profitable about making people DIY instead of calling because the price is too high. I am PROOF of that.

YOu did when you chose or defended a price that is excessive. There's nothing profitable about making people DIY instead of calling because the price is too high. I am PROOF of that.
------------------------
The only thing that your proof of is a pissed off home owner that got charged a reasonable price to have a tech come out, diagnose, and make repairs to your comfort system with a part that he had in his truck inventory. I am pretty sure that the tech was probably using "flat rate" pricing so how long it took is a moot point. With flat rate pricing, it doesn't matter if it takes 3 minutes, 3 hours, or 3 days, the price stays the same. Same anywhere else... the price you see is the price you pay. We are not used car salesmen, and our prices are not subject to negotiation...same as any other retail establishment.
The real question, is that if you had a clue, then why didn't you diagnose and repair the system yourself the first time?? After all, it would have only cost you $17 for the part...

YOu did when you chose or defended a price that is excessive. There's nothing profitable about making people DIY instead of calling because the price is too high. I am PROOF of that.
_________
Charging what it cost to run a profittable business isn't someone needing money. Needing money is someone with no funds, asshole.
On Sep 2, 12:52pm, snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com wrote:

It does seem wrong that the HVAC guys have to change $200 for a 5 minute repair with a $17 part, but on the other hand they are not getting rich either...
Yes something is wrong with the system but maybe it's not the HVAC guys. What is wrong with the overall economic system that the HVAC guys must change $200 to make a living?
Why does a band aid cost $200 in the hospital?
Where does that money go?
Mark

But, I wrote in excess of $200, rounded off it was a $250 repair... for a $13 part that takes 5 minutes. Fair is fair, if it took 2 hours then ok, but having no experience in repairs it took me less time.

It doesn't. Granted, hospital bills are crazy too, but I'd never pay $600 an hour like some HVAC techs claim is resonable.

But, I wrote in excess of $200, rounded off it was a $250 repair... for a $13 part that takes 5 minutes. Fair is fair, if it took 2 hours then ok, but having no experience in repairs it took me less time.

It doesn't. Granted, hospital bills are crazy too, but I'd never pay $600 an hour like some HVAC techs claim is resonable.
------------------------
Your delusions of grandeur amaze me

Which part, that I can read a hospital bill like anyone else or that I don't think $600 an hour is reasonable to drive a truck about 5 miles, , unscrew and rescrew 4 screws, and pop off/on 4 wires on a capacitor?
Face it, if I thought it was reasonable I'd have called an HVAC company again instead of DIY. What you feel is reasonable <> what I do, there's no delusion about that.

Which part, that I can read a hospital bill like anyone else or that I don't think $600 an hour is reasonable to drive a truck about 5 miles, , unscrew and rescrew 4 screws, and pop off/on 4 wires on a capacitor?
Face it, if I thought it was reasonable I'd have called an HVAC company again instead of DIY. What you feel is reasonable <> what I do, there's no delusion about that.
_________
You said you were leaving... just another lie.

How sad that you want to drive away someone who writes about facts. Yes, when you begin to bore me I will leave. You and others already had but then things got interesting again so I stuck around. Now it's boring again so I'll again write that I'll not bother posting anymore unless someone can come up with some valid (excuses?) reasoning instead of just trying to claim a 5 mile drive and under ten minutes is worth a little over $200.

How sad that you want to drive away someone who writes about facts.
Snip... you have posted nothing but crap. Please leave the fact posting to someone that's capable.

But, I wrote in excess of $200, rounded off it was a $250 repair... for a $13 part that takes 5 minutes. Fair is fair, if it took 2 hours then ok, but having no experience in repairs it took me less time.

It doesn't. Granted, hospital bills are crazy too, but I'd never pay $600 an hour like some HVAC techs claim is resonable.
__________
You better hope you never have to go to the hospital then... Won't pay $600/hr there...... LMAO

[...]
------------- Sorry to bust your bubble, but there is not a whole lot that I can *DO* until Gustav has cleared out....still getting hit with feeder bands and have a bunch of calls stacked up for tomorrow once Gustav has moved on... until then, I have a housefull of college kids to ride herd on so they don't wreck the place.

It was a generic term, the wadding is the porous felt-like material that holds the oil around any bearing. If you don't realize that, you don't know much at all about sleeve bearing motors! Hint - I do.

Please pretend you at least known HVAC parts. MANY are not open, are sealed motors. You've now well established that you have no experience.

Until that lube runs out, and it always does after a certain number of years. Don't believe, I don't care, buy new motors over and over if you like instead of the common sense maintenance practices in place for 100 years!

You can sweep my floors at minimum wage any time you like, IF you change your attitude and show yourself capable of such a simple task.

Umm, no. I Was the whole installation, crew. Whatever some repair guy serviced, is 100% what I installed. Quit being a baby.

It was a generic term, the wadding is the porous felt-like material that holds the oil around any bearing. If you don't realize that, you don't know much at all about sleeve bearing motors! Hint - I do.

Please pretend you at least known HVAC parts. MANY are not open, are sealed motors. You've now well established that you have no experience.

Until that lube runs out, and it always does after a certain number of years. Don't believe, I don't care, buy new motors over and over if you like instead of the common sense maintenance practices in place for 100 years!

You can sweep my floors at minimum wage any time you like, IF you change your attitude and show yourself capable of such a simple task.

Umm, no. I Was the whole installation, crew. Whatever some repair guy serviced, is 100% what I installed. Quit being a baby.
-----------------
If you were the whole installation crew, then you should certainly know how to diagnose and repair, and wouldn't have to pay the $200 or $250 to have it fixed....
Here's a hint sport, the lead on an install crew is generally a certified Master Tech. Now GFYS

Actually, installation uses new parts that are already checked before put in the warehouse. All I had to do was rough-in the installation, everything besides the thermostat and exhaust/intake covers that had to wait till the drywall and painting was done. In a new home the system never even got turned on before I was off to another job site. Basically it seems you don't know about roughing-in a new installation any more than I did about repair costs.
Why I paid close to $250 last time was that it was the middle of summer, I had to work and didn't have a holiday off to check anything, and didn't realize it was going to cost close to $250 for a $13 capacitor until I was handed the bill. Obviously in retrospect if I had known what the bill would be beforehand I would have done it myself, like I chose to this time based on that bill and the entire topic we're discussing.

Here's another hint. That's not always true, I started with nothing but prior construction experience then the finishing crew that installed the thermostat and checked the system function later were more experienced. I proved capable of the installations, was very rarely called back to any site to correct anything. Usually being called back meant that the plumber wasn't on-site when he should have been and I was doing duct runs having to guess where he'd put pipes instead of it being done already or being able to talk to him about his plans first.
Come to think of it, I didn't do a poll or anything but I don't recall any of the guys doing rough-ins having master tech certification and this was a fairly good sized shop that was one of the preferred HVAC installers for some of the most popular home builders in the area. We'd go down the street from one house to the next in new neighborhoods behind built which got somewhat boring when every other house was essentially the same except for the shape of the roof.
I left any info that was worthwhile of quoting on the above line.
snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com wrote:

Those bearings don't require lubing. Metering the device without breaking it more is the way to go. Hell, You could have just stuck an Oscope on it and rung it with a generator. An ohmmeter is a ridiculous method of checking for a few shorted windings. The cost of rewinding that would far exceed just replacing it. Guess what.. If you had did just that, it would be up and running now.

Hush now...let the poor sucker go buy a cheap assed Fasco motor and see how long *that* lasts. There is a reason I pay $75 for top quality motor and install it with a 1 year replacement guarentee. Last year I install a half dozen of those cheap fasco pieces of shit, because the supply house had run out of the good ones, and had to do warranty replacement on every single one within 6 - 10 months. Every one either burnt up or the bearings locked up or both. But the OP can go do what he wants.... just don't call me when the motor you took out has 3 wires and the new one has 5 and you can't figure out how its supposed to be hooked up.