Charging for Quotes/Proposals

On Wed, 02 May 2007 15:06:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Like I said, Im all for the kjpro proposal idea. Will it work??? I have no idea and for the record.........probably not. However, Im also a firm believer in ANY idea properly marketed will work. NO, I dont know how to market that one. Lets face it. We are all tired of wasting countless hours going on bid jobs only to find you are asked to please wait outside for a few minutes while the other hvac company finishes up. THEN as you finish up you see another hvac guy walking up to the door. More and more customers getting 10 and more bids! Its crazy but it will continue when we dont charge for our time. We are different from a car dealership or some other example. We bring EVERYTHING to the customer and then install it. One solution is to hire a salesman and pay him on commission only. I worked for a hvac company that had salesmen working in this fashion. Problem is, GREED sets in. Then the salesman is bidding along with those ten other companies. He needs to get the sale so he sells you the lowest efficient off brand piece of equipment they supply and blows sunshine up your ass telling you it is the best unit in the world. He gets commission, the boss makes money and the customer gets a POS! I dont know the answer. Go for it! Bubba

What I see a lot of the successful resi- contractors do in my area is to pre-qualify their sales calls and sales leads.
They do this by getting the potential customer to call them, requesting service. The secret to getting the customer to call them in the first place is laid out very well in their marketing approach. Their marketing is so top-notch I'm tempted to call them up and have them service my system at home.
kj's idea will not work in its current format, but DOES WORK when properly marketed to the consumer. as you say Bubba, its all in the marketing.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

My *opinion* I think PJM is correct; it's the cost of doing business. Do you pay the trades that work for you to give quotes (electricians - plumbers, etc )?
I have not read all the posts in this thread but I am getting the impression that your mind is made up to do it and defend that position vigorously. It's your business and you could try it for awhile and try to objectively gauge the reactions of the customers and it's effect on your business.
You are not a newcomer and must have some sense of talking to a customer whether they are tire kickers or genuine.
Kpro;
I've thought about the something. The car collision guys charge $25 for an estimate now. And you come to them!
But if our competition doesn't come up to speed, then we [HVAC Contractors] would be held back.
I'm not sure as a homeowner I'd be receptive. Do the window installers charge to come out? Do plumbers? [Basically other tradesmen?].
--
Zyp

<kjpro @ usenet.com> wrote in message

Lowes and Home Cheapo both charge to send a sales weasel out, but it gets credited if you buy from them.

an
Contractors]
It's starting to come to this in many different fields. It has to start somewhere... I prefer to be a leader than a follower.
We will be better off (as a whole) if we get paid for our time/knowledge. That's what happens when you're sick and you go to the doctor's office. They're no different than we are. Except they get paid for damn near everything they do... for some reason WE (as contractors) feel that we have to give shit away.
It's time, as Pat says... we need to start raising the bar in our industry. Because if we don't do it, nobody's going to do it for us!

Do you give your system away if your customer cannot pay? The doctor does every day. Bad example.

for
time/knowledge.
Yes, your example IS bad.
Have you never done anything because you felt like giving back to the community??????
I just did a job for a great guy, made out the invoice and wrote P A I D accross it with the word F R E E in the total line... why, cause I felt like it.
All you people see in general is the bad things... well, let me tell you... we are not all the same. There are good and bad people in every nationality. Just as there are good and bad people in every trade.
Now what 'other' question do you want to ask of me?

Medical people "give shit away" every day.

I do a lot of free work. I spent a week in Baton Rouge at LSU giving free medical care for hurricane Katrine victims.( LSU was the triage center for those evacuated) My family (who all went) collected 3 semi truck loads of aid. 1 Truck of food and water. 1 Truck of clothing. 1 truck load of medical supplies. All delivered by us and 3 volunteer truck drivers. We handed out $10,000.00 in donated cash to victims that we selected by need. Most of them were old people and couples with small children.

God bless you.

None sir. I bow to your kindness for your fellow man.