Carrier Home Ait Cond. System Question

Our Carrier home air cond. system has started acting up. It is doing the following.

  1. I will run for about and hour or so and stop.
  2. Service tech comes out and checks freon levels are good and finds a switch inside the unit that was blackend. He replaces the switch and I fire it up. Service guys ssys do not turn off anyhting and call him back it it stops. It runs about 2 hours and stops.
  3. service guy comes back out and removes cover over compressor and finds that the cap over the wires going into the compressor is broken from heat. The power is off to the unit. While standing there we hear a poping noise and the service guy says it will run now. He says the compressor has a thermal switch on it that will cut it off if it gets to hot. He plugs the power plug back in and tells me to fire it up. I do and the units come back to life. He then takes down the serial number from my units and tells me they will have to call Carrier tech support and ask them what they think it is. Service thinks that there could be a bad filter or something clogged on the system and he is not sure. He says they will get with me on Monday.

He said that if the compressor is bad it is almost has easy to put a new unit in and be done with it. He said a new compressor can cost upwards or 800.00 to 900.00 or more.

Needless to say all this is going on Friday and Saturday with temps in the 90's. We went and purchased two windows units to atleat keep us cool until we get it fixed.

I know this was long winded but I wnated to get as much info out as I could.

So based on my problem, does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks for your time.

Funny thing was when I was a kid I almost went into this field.

Reply to
designwebs

Like Paul said... find somebody who knows WTF they are doing.

$800 - $900 is half price... what corners is he cutting?? A new system can run from $4000 - $25000.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Well, Steve. Sounds like it's time for my favorite diagnosis, you think?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ask the company to send out the 9.00 per hour tech.....not the 7.00 per hr tech

Reply to
daytona°

Burnt parts, tripping off with the overload protector. I'd sure say that the outside unit isn't properly releasing the heat. Time for my favorite diagnosis. Yeah, the nine dollar an hour tech might find out what's wrong.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds to me like that compressor has some shorted windings causing it to draw too much current resulting in burnt wires before the internal overload can open. Average lifespan of the unit is 12 years upward.. Average warranty is 10 years. If that system has burned or has acidic oil and cooling gas.. It will require a good clean up it the compressor is replaced. That is time consuming and expensive.. Plus additional filters need to be installed. If such is the case. Replace the entire system with a more efficient on with the newer so-call environment friendly Gases. Funny thing..When I was a kid, I damn near didn't! ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

Buy a large can of smoke and replace that, which has gotten out of the unit.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Well thnaks for all the bantering. Today I will know more and I will post the findigns here for you all to see. Since the I have the furance in my garage and the heat exchanger/heat pump is at the oppsite end of the house. You would think that I would get a small break as all the duc work is in and they would not have to intall that plus the eletric is already in place.

Thanks aga> Our Carrier home air cond. system has started acting up. =A0It is doing > the following.

Reply to
designwebs

I was thinking dirty condensor. Retains the heat. Drives the head pressure and amperage up. My first thought is to chemical clean the condensor, so it can release heat. Also has the advantage of being a much easier and cheaper fix than compressor change out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From what you've written, the outdoor unit is packed with dust. The tech should take the fan off the top. Spray some water based chemical on. Wait a while, rinse with the garden hose. It will take two or three or four applications of chemical (wait three to five minutes before rinsing, to let the stuff work).

Please let us know what happens.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's your standard *WRONG* reply.

Reply to
KJPRO

Your standard reply is once again WRONG!!!!!!

Reply to
KJPRO

The tech called and said he spoke with the carrier people. They said it is maybe a bad bearing in the compressor. He said I need a new system. 900.00 for new compressor plus install fees if I wnat to go that route or I can go with a new system by york for $2800.00.+

Reply to
designwebs

My cousin lives near Dayton OH, and I'd been thinking to come down and visit some time. I'm in NYS. I like pepperoni and sausage. Don't bother shoving the sprayer wand up my wazoo.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Six vital signs? Sounds like I should bring my defibrillator to Ohio. I'm serious about coming down to visit. I do have some work this week, but my cousin Eric and his family would love to have me visit. He's got AC, also, that can use service. My grand parents lived in Ohio, while they were alive. I won't be that far south.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From what I know of AC, the only way to know it's a bad berring is to clean the condensor. Let it dry thoroughly. And then check a bunch of temperatures, amperage, and pressures. If you just jump to the "bad berring" then you might end up yanking out some perfectly good equipment with minor problems.

Anyhow, let me know. The gas to cinci is cheaper than a new compressor. Right up the road is a restaurant named Young's which serves fairly good food.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd throw flowers to the adoring crowds, but it's a bit too dark to go out and pick them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nine c'notes buys a lot of pizza. And my cousin would love to see me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He wants the unit fixed... that doesn't mean, he wants you to make things worse!

Reply to
KJPRO

Is there anything as a home owner I can do as far as the cleaning of the unit as the other guy said? I do not see where there is dust in anything other than the normal dirt and grim from it setting outside.

I think I will call the carrier people and have them come out and have a look at it...

Reply to
designwebs