Benefit of extra Freon?

OK I have a 25 year old house in suburban Chicago. Central AC is about 22 y ears old. I had it serviced Friday for the first time in a long time and I' m 2# short which the tech added (I wasn't home so thus my question). I know that fluids for everything need to be at the full level (oil, coolant car, for example) and I understand what happens if oil or coolant is low. What' s the harm/ benefit to my system to have the correct amount of Freon? Will it run better, cooler, avoid future problems, what?

Reply to
signots

Hi, You answered your own question.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
Tony944

Tony H and Tony 944: thanks!

Reply to
signots

Problems with freon leaks:

a.. Low freon levels reduce efficiency of the air conditioner. b.. They can freeze the evaporator coil, causing it to literally ice up. c.. Freon is an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) controlled substance, deemed hazardous if released into the environment. d.. The heart of the unit is the compressor, which is cooled by the refrigerant. Over time, low freon levels can cause overheating and premature failure of the compressor, often requiring complete replacement of the compressor or the entire condensing unit. As mentioned earlier this is a very expensive proposition. e.. Always contact a HVAC professional when dealing with refrigerant (freon).

- See more at:

[...]

ash.A3W7QEO0.dpufOn some systems, low freon can cause the evaporator to ice over. In any case, low freon will not cool as well.

The "two pounds short" may very well be true. It may also be an extra $$ charge to help keep the company financed. It may also be that the tech thinks all systems are two pounds short, and adds regardless of the actual need.

22 years old. I had it serviced Friday for the first time in a long time and I'm 2# short which the tech added (I wasn't home so thus my question). I know that fluids for everything need to be at the full level (oil, coolant car, for example) and I understand what happens if oil or coolant is low. What's the harm/ benefit to my system to have the correct amount of Freon? Will it run better, cooler, avoid future problems, what?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Down 2 pounds?

that's a lot, it might have only held 4.

Hope they fixed the leak.

Reply to
TimR

I've actually had good luck with Cliplight stop leak in many systems with tiny impossible to find leaks. Yea I know, any leak can be found but if the time and labor to find a tiny leak exceeds to cost of the stop leak, I'm going with the stop leak. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Down 2 pounds doesn't sound like a tiny leak, though. It shouldn't have been cooling at all.

Reply to
TimR

I find a lot of those leaks at the service valves. For some reason a lot of repair techs don't test there first. I have a tool that lets me change the Schrader valves without losing any refrigerant. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas