Benefit of extra Freon?

OK I have a 25 year old house in suburban Chicago. Central AC is about 22 y ears old. I had it serviced Friday for the first time in a long time and I' m 2# short which the tech added (I wasn't home so thus my question). I know that fluids for everything need to be at the full level (oil, coolant car, for example) and I understand what happens if oil or coolant is low. What' s the harm/ benefit to my system to have the correct amount of Freon? Will it run better, cooler, avoid future problems, what?

Hi, You answered your own question.
Think of your car will it run better with oil in crankcase or without also same for gas will run better or worst without the gas in a tank. I don't think that you are need or require explanation there.

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:04:33 PM UTC-5, Tony944 wrote:

Tony H and Tony 944: thanks!
Problems with freon leaks:
a.. Low freon levels reduce efficiency of the air conditioner. b.. They can freeze the evaporator coil, causing it to literally ice up. c.. Freon is an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) controlled substance, deemed hazardous if released into the environment. d.. The heart of the unit is the compressor, which is cooled by the refrigerant. Over time, low freon levels can cause overheating and premature failure of the compressor, often requiring complete replacement of the compressor or the entire condensing unit. As mentioned earlier this is a very expensive proposition. e.. Always contact a HVAC professional when dealing with refrigerant (freon). - See more at: http://www.coolray.com/blog/article/common_air_conditioning_problems/#sth ash.A3W7QEO0.dpufProblems with freon leaks:
[...]
a.. Low freon levels reduce efficiency of the air conditioner. b.. They can freeze the evaporator coil, causing it to literally ice up. c.. Freon is an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) controlled substance, deemed hazardous if released into the environment. d.. The heart of the unit is the compressor, which is cooled by the refrigerant. Over time, low freon levels can cause overheating and premature failure of the compressor, often requiring complete replacement of the compressor or the entire condensing unit. As mentioned earlier this is a very expensive proposition. e.. Always contact a HVAC professional when dealing with refrigerant (freon). - See more at: http://www.coolray.com/blog/article/common_air_conditioning_problems/#sth ash.A3W7QEO0.dpufOn some systems, low freon can cause the evaporator to ice over. In any case, low freon will not cool as well.
The "two pounds short" may very well be true. It may also be an extra $$ charge to help keep the company financed. It may also be that the tech thinks all systems are two pounds short, and adds regardless of the actual need.
System with too much freon also will not cool as well. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
OK I have a 25 year old house in suburban Chicago. Central AC is about 22 years old. I had it serviced Friday for the first time in a long time and I'm 2# short which the tech added (I wasn't home so thus my question). I know that fluids for everything need to be at the full level (oil, coolant car, for example) and I understand what happens if oil or coolant is low. What's the harm/ benefit to my system to have the correct amount of Freon? Will it run better, cooler, avoid future problems, what?
Down 2 pounds?
that's a lot, it might have only held 4.
Hope they fixed the leak.
On 7/15/2013 11:07 AM, TimR wrote:

I've actually had good luck with Cliplight stop leak in many systems with tiny impossible to find leaks. Yea I know, any leak can be found but if the time and labor to find a tiny leak exceeds to cost of the stop leak, I'm going with the stop leak. ^_^
TDD
On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:58:42 AM UTC-4, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Down 2 pounds doesn't sound like a tiny leak, though. It shouldn't have been cooling at all.
On 7/29/2013 2:39 PM, TimR wrote:

I find a lot of those leaks at the service valves. For some reason a lot of repair techs don't test there first. I have a tool that lets me change the Schrader valves without losing any refrigerant. ^_^
TDD