13 SEER Splits not cooling!??!

Page 1 of 6
Hello all..
I work and live in Memphis,and My company has been installing 13seer units,this year,Well it seems that we get alot of call backs that the units are not cooling as well as the H/O old 30 year old 10 SEER units..
Now I dont know if the installers are pulling vacuums or not,and I am sure that the units are not charged by sub cooling either,So those are a couple of factors to take into consideration.. It just seems that these new 13 SEER units are over sensitive to hot return air,hot outside tempratures,and proper freon charge..
Now on the older 10 SEER units,it seems that one could have a open return in the attic,not pull a vacuum,and overcharge by 3 pounds,and the thing would still cool the H/O's house down.. And these new 13 SEER units,we have to lower the fan speeds,install TXV's on every last one of them etc etc...
Basically I am just curious if any other service techs out there in the HVAC world have had problems with these.. I have heard alot of differnt things from other's,But not enough :P The new 13 SEER are supposed to have the same capacity as the old 10 SEER,but have thinner evaps etc.. Gonna stop here,untill I get a response for the question at hand.... "Do they cool as well" ??
Russ
The couple of 13 seeers I've worked on, they tend to have rotary compressor. LOTS of fins for the condensor. The new condensing units are much larger. And also they have TXV on the evaporator coil.
With the TXV, they are supposed to be some what less sensetive to refrigerant charge. The ones I've worked with come with a freon charge in the condensing unit. Only have to put some gas in the lines to make up for long line sets.
Makes me wonder if your guys need some more brazing or Stay-Brite practice, if one of them is making leaky fittings. I presume you send a service guy otu to follow up on complaints. What do the service guys say?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Your gonna have to tell me what manufacturer is using rotary compressors iin their air conditioning systems??????
Barry

Amen brother!
The Rheem condensing units I've helped install have had rotary compressors.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Really??? And all this time I thought all of the Rheem resi stuff manufactured after '95 had *SCROLL* compressors. I guess those stickers that say "SCROLL INSIDE" were just a ruse???
GET A CLUE you ignorant POS!!!!

holy shit cut the guy some slack. he has said in here more than once that he is a new tech. anybody with any experience knows this means there is a learning curve for him. instead of stomping on the guy, help him learn.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Before you go and step in something you really don't want on your shoe, consider that the ignorant POS has been just as ignorant and doesn't *want* to learn....he has been on here for at least 5 years and hasn't learned a damn thing. 5 years(or more)...that doesn't constitute a "new" tech.
Care to do a little homework then try again??

i dont care how long hes been here or how long he has been toting a tool pouch, he has stated his limitations which i feel entitles him to a learning curve. if he is wrong, correct him. if he is seeking knowledge, teach him. if he is being an asshole then by all means be an asshole back but i havent seen that from him, at least not in my time here.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

He has NEVER stated his limitations, as to being wrong, nor expressing his logic behind a conclusion.

His learning curve looks like this: O

They have; does he benefit from it NO!

Many have have tried - none have succeeded. He is not seeking.

Stick around; you work with him. Teach him something today - will he be able to apply it tomorrow - NO. Do it privately or publicly whatever...
Let's face it. He has no desire to learn. Like a thief he takes the easiest way out. He's a "locksmith" who breaks jambs.
YOU make the effort, report back with results.
--
Tekkie

I appear to be getting the standard treatment, which is abuse and garbage. In some regards, it's not so bad. Cause everyone else gets the treatment, too.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Nate...
You and I have known each other a long time....so trust me on this...
Chris is a hack, pure, unadulterated hack.
He is also a trolls, troll. He is trolling, and has no clue he is.
He thinks, and thats THINKS hes offering advice, and over the years, when called out on bullshit, he ignores it. You can give all the advice you want, and hes gonna ignore you...unless you offer to convert to Mormanism, drop to your knees and give a weekly tithe to the little alien mormon hes got under his magic space suit.
He refers to a job 3 years ago as recent, and cant tell you anything about real life situations, unless it starts out with: My boss and i.
He is trouble, and while there was a time I thought like you, that time is far past.

......you never called me back, fucker. ;-) gimme a call when you have a few minutes (i know theyre tough to come by right now), i gotta go over a few things with you about what we were talking about but i couldnt talk about because the wifey was in the same room. :-)
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

Oh Christ! You're looking at Porn again. :-) Nathan. Flat rate is the only way. If you dont use it you should sometime at least try it. You will be very suprised. Also, remember. YOU do NOT eat your labor or anything else. The customer pays for EVERYTHING! (Only exception is if your company truely screwed up. Then you either fix the problem or get rid of the problem) Bubba

in general, yes. i was referencing tech screw-ups/taking to long due to inexperience. that said, i wouldnt hire anything less than a full journeyman anyway. my business carries WAY to much liability (from product loss) to send a newbie.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
"Nathan W. Collier" wrote:

c'mon Nathan, get a clue. stomin moron has been posting here a hell of a lot longer than you remember or know, and funny thing, he still insists he's a new tech...seven fucking years a new tech....
as far as a learning curve, i can understand empathy for mentally deficient people, if that's what you're implying....
you seem intent on accepting stormin moron is capable of learning, so try teaching him something....
wait a minute....you're only charging $70 hr for service calls? shit.....sounds like you and stormin moron may be paddling in the same boat!!!! lol

i think most anybody is capable of learning if they want to learn.

i charge T&M, minimum 1 hour. $60 hourly rate (ok, i need to update my website but who has the time this time of year?) + $10 trip charge. i dont believe in flat rate billing. no two systems are the same, no two problems are the same, and no two customers should pay the same "just because".....but thats another issue entirely. i make a good, honest living by billing T&M.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

I almost made a living with T&M but now I actually make a *profit* with flat rate billing. FWIW, a resi condendser fan motor is still a resi condenser fan motor and instead of the $150 I used to almost get with T&M, including the service call and sales tax, now under flat rate, its $363 and change(installed) including the service call fee and sales tax. I almost went broke with T&M..... GF opened my eyes.... Thanx Pat :-)
--

Steve @ Noon-Air Heating & A/C
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Christopher A. Young