Wood From Pallets - Treated Or Safe?

I have access to a small supply of discarded pallets from unloading trucks.
Is this wood safe for building raised beds for vegetables? How can I tell if it is treated or not?
Thanks.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
Coffee's For Closers wrote:

Pallets are usually branded with either the name of the pallet company who recycles them around different users or with the name of the user. Phone them and ask what the timber is. In these parts the timber is either hardwood (not treated) or softwood (treated). The nature of the treatment varies and some have more heavy metals than others.
David
"some have more HEAVY METALS than others"
--
- Billy
In article

Rule of thumb in chemistry,"When in doubt, throw it out". If you have wood, that you KNOW is untreated, use it. Shun the rest.
--
- Billy
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:17:48 -0700, Coffee's For Closers

I don't know of any pallets that have been treated. To know for sure you will need to test it. Depending on the wood, your pallets will last 1 to 5 years. White oak pallets last longer than others.