Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas?

We may be in zone 9 here (Corpus Christi), and I see that this species is hardy in zone 4-8. Does this mean it gets too hot here for the tree to do well?
Sure, why no?
Its not a very long lived tree anyway.
You would be better off growing something better.

is
Jim Caldwell wrote:

I'm pretty sure honey locust grows OK there.
Best regards, Bob
I have one growing in the corner of my property here in the northeast Dallas area. Someone told me it was a black locust. Has thorns all over it. about 30 ft tall.
Not a tree you want to cultivate in my opinion.

is
According to Dirr, ROBINIA PSEUDOACACIA (Black Locust, Common Locust, Yellow or White Locust)
Is hardy in Zones 4-8.
Dave

do
Dirr only gives cold hardiness, not heat zones. I've seen black locust down here, but it does get out of hand and reseeds everywhere and takes over and needs to be weeded out a lot, etc.
opined: