Why are my tomatoes not ripening?

Page 1 of 2
Very strange.
I'm in eastern Virginia -- Northumberland County, along the Potomac River.
Last year as we were building our house we planted a dozen or so tomato plants along the back of the lot and harvested tomatoes all summer and into the fall.
This year, I have 26 plants, all heirloom varieties. They are in raised beds that are filled with half-and-half compost and topsoil.
I prune my plants so there are 3-4 main stems. I have lots of foilage, healthy plants, no pests, and lots of green tomatoes. However -- only two of my plants are ripening. I have been picking an occasional ripe tomato from these two plants for 3 weeks; the rest of the plants show no sign of ripening although they are loaded with tomatoes.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
Every Man wrote:

Slow here too in northern DE. I blame the weather as it's been cooler and rainier than normal.
Add pictures here
✖

<http://www.john-daly.com/stations/stations.htm#North%20America%20 (excl.% 20Arctic>
What the stations worth a look.
It's a small world after all.
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖
Bill who putters wrote:

As a global warming skeptic I got on the Heartland Institutes mailing list and have publication of their study of the temperature measuring stations in the US. This is part of it:
http://www.surfacestations.org /
There are over 1,200 monitoring stations in the US and so far the group has looked at 850 of them and found that 89% fail to meet the National Weather Services site requirements that they must be 30 meters or more away from an artificial heating or reflecting source.
Satellite data is more reliable:
http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/essd06oct97_1.htm
"Unlike the surface-based temperatures, global temperature measurements of the Earth's lower atmosphere obtained from satellites reveal no definitive warming trend over the past two decades. The slight trend that is in the data actually appears to be downward. The largest fluctuations in the satellite temperature data are not from any man-made activity, but from natural phenomena such as large volcanic eruptions from Mt. Pinatubo, and from El Niño. So the programs which model global warming in a computer say the temperature of the Earth's lower atmosphere should be going up markedly, but actual measurements of the temperature of the lower atmosphere reveal no such pronounced activity."
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for the post.
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖

    Thank you. You do realise, however, that, in U.S.A., political correctness must never be diluted or distorted by actual facts ;-) After all, Mr. Gore, et al, have their retirement plans to consider, having failed at politics.
Add pictures here
✖

It would cost a lot of corporate profits to keep "greenhouse gases" under the equivalent of 450 ppm CO2. It would require life style changes for everyone as well.
Since none of us has the data, I guess we'll just have to decide which side we trust. If Frank has chosen the correct side, the rest of us will look pretty silly. If the Union of Concerned Scientists is right, we could be looking at a mass extinction (us, among others). So the choice of the undecideds is, would you rather take a chance on looking silly, or would you rather take a chance on being extinct?
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.
Billy wrote:

I just think it is prudent not to jump to conclusions. Suggest reading Michael Crichton's "State of Fear". We all want a clean environment and conservation of resources but draconian moves like the cap and trade bill do little in this direction other than more government control. Individual scientists continue to question and evaluate data while large scientific organizations, like the American Chemical Society which I belong to, tend to be very political.
Frank
Add pictures here
✖

Since none of us has the data, I guess we'll just have to decide which side we trust. If Frank has chosen the correct side, the rest of us will look pretty silly. If the Union of Concerned Scientists is right, we could be looking at a mass extinction (us, among others). So the choice of the undecideds is, would you rather take a chance on looking silly, or would you rather take a chance on being extinct?

I must admit that I am no expert on "Global Warming". I would just be happy (at least in the short run), if I could just figure out what is messin' my melons. I have looked into the subject, mostly superficially (there is only so much time), and from what I see, Global Warming is accepted by the "Union of Concerned Scientists" (UCS), and "Scientific American". If these scientists had investments in, say, parasol futures, my doubts would be raised, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If you have a response to my logic, from the last post (see above), I would like to hear it. Until then, it remain my position.
You say read Crichton, and the UCS has a page devoted to rebutting him <http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/global_warming_ contrarians/crichton-thriller-state-of.html> I only have so much time to research a question, and I feel that I have spent mine. If someone says, "Here's the answer", for sure I'll read it. Normally, I turn to some authority I trust, like the "League of Women Voters" for voting, or the USC on scientific matters.
If you have time to go through the UCS website on "Global Warming" <http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/ , and can come up with holes in their arguments, I would love to hear them. What time I have to study, is mostly being spent in studying GMOs, and the physiological effects of statins. Then there is the "job" which starts in ten days, which always cramps my life style.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.
✖
In article

My take on why it is cooler here. Read somewhere as the ice melts it exposes soil which can hold the solar gain so why not hotter now? Well it seem the solar gain heat also melts the ice which runs off to the ocean. Water lever rise imperceptible but something else occurs.
Ocean salinity is decreased which is no big deal. But the ocean ability to hold heat is related to salinity. So we get cooler and fluctuations . Think heat sink being effected.
Gabbing Bill.... look at below url on left side for Global Warming stuff.
<http://www.whoi.edu/
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖

<http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid 457&tid(2&cid366>
Direct link.
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖

Much more on Sea water salinity and Global climate.
<http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=salinity+sea+water+climate+change&hl =en&client=safari&rls=en-us&um=1&ie=UTF-8&oi=scholart>
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖
Billy wrote:

I'm a retired chemist. Maybe not a global climate expert but I do understand a lot of the basic science. I read Al Gore's "Earth in the Balance" several years ago and realized that it was just a political polemic supporting the progressive view of more government control.
The environmentalists hate Crichton because while global warming is only a background for the thesis of the book, he did extensive study and came to conclusions they do not like.
Laws of science are not arrived at by consensus as the global warming advocates would have you believe. In the past, there was a consensus that the sun revolved around the earth, etc.
Even if the earth is heating or cooling, it is mainly due to Mother Nature or more specifically the sun. One of my epa friends says it is presumptuous of man to assume his effects are greater than that of Mother Nature.
Also came across a pamphlet of the skeptics examining the carbon dioxide argument. They point out that there was a time in the past when carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was 20X today's level yet there was no following greenhouse effect. Also carbon dioxide only absorbs sunlight at a few narrow bandwidths and exceeding current levels leave no more to be absorbed.
Add pictures here
✖

I am unsullied by either.
How would you characterize the way in which Al Gore's "Earth in the Balance" was a political polemic supporting the progressive view of more government control and what do you mean progressive views? Survival?

Frank, my degree is in chemistry too, but they'll probably have to pry the pipette out of my cold, dead fingers.

How do you know this?

And his proof is?

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID 037A5D- A938-150E-A93883414B7F0000
Impact from the Deep
Strangling heat and gases emanating from the earth and sea, not asteroids, most likely caused several ancient mass extinctions. Could the same killer-greenhouse conditions build once again?
--

We seem to be in an endless round of he said, she said. When all is said
and done, it brings us back to:

Oh dear, you poor sumbeetch. Last year you were in harness longer than the previous year. How does it look this year? How looks the afternoon nap situation?
Condolences Charlie
Add pictures here
✖

Why thank you, Charlie. Normally when I tell people I only work half a year, I get no sympathy. The ol' 8 to 8 routine, really breaks up the day. This is where I normally talk about the 6 day weeks, and start dragging my leg and howling.
Harvest, for sparking wines will start any day now. I'll soon be getting sticky doing grape samples (tracking sugar, potassium, total acidity, and pH), and the floor of the lab will get so dirty that we'll get tempted to dig furrows and start planting. The winery ain't expecting grapes 'till the end of the month, or early Sept. It's been a cool summer here too, but we had a warm spring, and an early bud break (beginning of March, instead of the middle).
Nice thing about work is that I get a lunch break, that's when I go toes up. That and a cup of coffee, and I'm good for another 6 - 8 hr. I've pulled a few 14 hr. days with this job, but it's nothing like working for yourself.
It'll be the fourth year with these folks. I know the people and the routine. All I have to do is harness up and hang on. Starting to feel like a fire horse.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.
✖

we are debating something similar in NZ - our post Kyoto climate warming emissions reduction. Seems our govt may be choosing for 15% BELOW 1990 bench mark level by 2020 as out commitment. As it is, we are about 23% ABOVE 1990 levels now. www.350.org is calling for 40% reduction on 1990 levels.
As I said on my, aheam, hard hitting and (cough) informative environmental show this afternoon - you put the bullet in the gun, you spin the chamber, you put the gun to your head, you close your eyes, you pull the trigger, and you hope...
rob
Add pictures here
✖

. . . hope that you look silly.
--

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/elnino/1997.html
--
Dave

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:13:10 -0400, Bill who putters

Not Marc, but some damn fine amateur work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpm_2Do7imM

"Well, they worked one summer together at the '64 World's Fair. They met Robert Kennedy there. Well, that was... right before the fall.
And they saved up a little bit of money for his career, And they talked about the future underneath the giant sphere. And all around them, the little voices were singing it's a small world after all. Yes it is, * A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL*. And it was... (marc cohn)
Charlie, munching a boursin cheese and cuke sammie, washing it down with a Boulevard Pale Ale and dreaming of perfect things and tryin' to relate some things to all things...
Add pictures here
✖