Where to find sunchokes?

I am a type 2 diabetic and was told that sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes) are healthy substitutes for potatoes and easy to grow. I have a large sunny area in the backyard that is unused and am thinking of growing them there. But where do I find them? I don't see them in my local supermarket in Western Washington. And if I find them, do you just bury them in the ground or is their a special technique? Thanks for any advice.

Look here but it is getting late. Still......Next year may be OK.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/default.aspx
These folks are in Maine.
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
I'm also a type II diabetic and planted some twelve years ago. They gave us extreme amounts of gas, stomach upset, and were vigorously invasive in taking over the property. It has taken me the whole twelve years to get rid of them.
tenplay wrote:

Whoops! Try a Google search for sunchokes and you should find a mail order supplier.
George
George Shirley wrote:

George Shirley wrote:

It sounds like you enjoyed eating them but that they made you ill. Was it more like an allergy or does it affect a lot of people in similar ways? If the after-effects are so unpleasant, I guess I don't want to grow them.
My neighbor had some growing and she was cutting it down for the year. I got 2 branches of the plant, planted them and they grew to monsters! They put our beautiful sunflower like flowers. To use it, just chop some down, and dig out some of the root, as much as you need - it will regrow. About finding them in grocery stores, that is rare. But look where they keep the parsnips, rutabagas, garlic, etc. and you can plant that root. Right now I have to go out and dig up some thai ginger!
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure