what to do with old corn stalks?

You have a real gift.

Reply to
Billy

Is this some kind of "shaggy dog" story?

Reply to
Billy

Only the othodox would have the sukkoh at all.... no one but the othodox celebrate this holiday, others barely note it exists.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

As a card-carrying agnostic, I still maintain that (per Fiddler on the Roof), "Tradition" is really, really, really important. (When it's a good tradition!! Scanning the various belief systems (aka: religions) in the world, there are some pretty hairy traditions still being adhered to. I don't think the original perps still throw their first- born children into the fiery furnace, but...)

There's something off-putting about being homogenized into a bland, consumer-driven body w/o tradition. We (US) are a nation of immigrants. Most enriched the body social and political I DEPLORE parents not teaching their children the original language along with English, in a mis-directed effort to be 1000% American. A second, third, fourth language is a TREASURE!

So yay for the Swedes, celebrating Santa Lucia. Yay for the Muslims celebrating Iftar (breaking fast after Ramadan). Yay for the Jews building a sukkah to commemorate wandering in the desert. Yay for the Christians remembering the Samaritan (NOT "good Samaritan; that is a tautology (I think that's what it is?) who help the sick dude by the side of the road. Etc.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Where you do get that notion?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Have to disagree on this one. Our multiple languages are a curse. There are all kinds of things that set us apart. This one is especially obnoxious.

There is nothing good about impeded communication.

Reply to
despen

Visit NYC. It's really only the ultra orthodox that celebrate, and not even all build the sukkoh, perhaps a third. It's like what percentage of Christians decorate their house with Christmas lights anymore... not really all that many, nowadays most don't do a tree or even send cards... was a time I sent and received over a hundred cards, last year I sent and received a half dozen and maybe as many ecards. As the years pass I see fewer and fewer houses lit up at Christmas time. Then again I see fewer and fewer American flags displayed. I still have a real tree indoors and I decorate a live tree outdoors. And I display an American flag on all American Holidays. I won't be bothering with buying Halloween candy this year, for the past two years I didn't get even one trick or treater. I'm glad I'm old, I don't want to see where things are going, I already know... the world is less peaceful now than it has ever been... everyone has a big pointy stick up their ass.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I didn't write that... you frigged up the attributions

Reply to
Brooklyn1

You're right, but I left Higgs in there in the place where the author would be, just trimmed out any of the parts you might have added.

Sorry.

Reply to
despen

What I asked for was the story of how corn became part of a Jewish festival.

Besides communication, languages are ways of seeing the world. To lose a language is to lose a vision of the world.

Reply to
Billy

Todd said

Try shoving them up your ass....

Reply to
me

it is proper to

Before this goes to DEFCON 4, either of you two Jewish? If so, do you really practice whats preached?

Reply to
Gunner