what to do with old corn stalks?

Page 2 of 2
On Sep 21, 8:37am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

As a card-carrying agnostic, I still maintain that (per Fiddler on the Roof), "Tradition" is really, really, really important. (When it's a good tradition!! Scanning the various belief systems (aka: religions) in the world, there are some pretty hairy traditions still being adhered to. I don't think the original perps still throw their first- born children into the fiery furnace, but...)
There's something off-putting about being homogenized into a bland, consumer-driven body w/o tradition. We (US) are a nation of immigrants. Most enriched the body social and political I DEPLORE parents not teaching their children the original language along with English, in a mis-directed effort to be 1000% American. A second, third, fourth language is a TREASURE!
So yay for the Swedes, celebrating Santa Lucia. Yay for the Muslims celebrating Iftar (breaking fast after Ramadan). Yay for the Jews building a sukkah to commemorate wandering in the desert. Yay for the Christians remembering the Samaritan (NOT "good Samaritan; that is a tautology (I think that's what it is?) who help the sick dude by the side of the road. Etc.
HB

Have to disagree on this one. Our multiple languages are a curse. There are all kinds of things that set us apart. This one is especially obnoxious.
There is nothing good about impeded communication.
--
Dan Espen

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:07:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I didn't write that... you frigged up the attributions
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> writes:

You're right, but I left Higgs in there in the place where the author would be, just trimmed out any of the parts you might have added.
Sorry.
--
Dan Espen

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:34:46 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

---> http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday5.htm

[...]
Yep. Called the Hebrew Bible. Stalks of whatever they grew in those days. Probably wheat, or ? Some Bible expert will know.
HB

In article

You have a real gift.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

Without knowing the amount of corn stalks it's difficult to say. Farmers generally cut acres of stalks at/near the ground, haul them off, plow under the stumps and then till to bust them up some. But for the small amount one typically plants in a home garden there are really only two choices; shred and use for mulch or if one has a place to toss them at the edge of the woods they'll make a good place for small critter protection, that's what I do. Corn stalks take a very long time to compost, I'd not recommend putting them into a composter with your regular materials, even shredded they'll take several years to compost. If you have use of a shredder corn stalks make good mulch.
Mow over them a few times, great for mulch or compost.
--
Bud

There's not much chance of sucking corn stalks into a mower.

I cut mine at ground level with a corn knife and feed them to the neighbor's cattle.
--
Steve
southiowa

Try shoving them up your ass....