what to do with old corn stalks?

Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks? Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Compost

David Hare-Scott

Would just burying them 6" under have the same effect?

Reply to
Todd

In the long run. The stalks take a while to break down, you could speed the whole thing up by running over them a few times with a mower.

David Hare-Scott

Cut and cover with mulch.

Reply to
Billy

I add my corn stalks to my Halloween Party Bon Fire pile. People love it after the BBQ and Hay Ride.

Reply to
Nad

Compost pile. Maybe break them up a bit first.

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

Give them to your Jewish friends for a holyday coming up where people "live" outside in temporary huts open to the sky but covered with maybe cornstalks.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Without knowing the amount of corn stalks it's difficult to say. Farmers generally cut acres of stalks at/near the ground, haul them off, plow under the stumps and then till to bust them up some. But for the small amount one typically plants in a home garden there are really only two choices; shred and use for mulch or if one has a place to toss them at the edge of the woods they'll make a good place for small critter protection, that's what I do. Corn stalks take a very long time to compost, I'd not recommend putting them into a composter with your regular materials, even shredded they'll take several years to compost. If you have use of a shredder corn stalks make good mulch.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Mow over them a few times, great for mulch or compost.

Reply to
Bud

There's not much chance of sucking corn stalks into a mower.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Open, but covered huts, I'll buy(?), but cornstalks in a Jewish ritual?(!!!) There's gotta be a story.

Reply to
Billy

I have been to meals at a Jewish college where they observed all the religious festivals. At one time the dining hall was festooned with plants and produce (sheaves of wheat etc) as part of their harvest festival which is held about this time of year. One aspect of this (I have since learned) is making booths, or if you like huts.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The thing is that Europeans, much less Jews, knew squat from corn until at least 1492. Corn has become part of Jewish rituals during the last

600 years? There's got to be a story. Hellllloooooo.
Reply to
Billy

I was just explaining the origin of the custom. Whether it is proper to add any available material like corn to the booths or displays, or if it is strictly controlled by ritual I have no idea.

David Hare-Scott

Reply to
Brooklyn1

No need to explain yourself, Billy is too ignorant and lacks even a modecum of common sense to figure it out for himself. When Jews wandered to the new world they used local native plants, obviously... same as any peoples who relocate adopt the different customs and eat different foods. in NYC tall marsh grasses are often used because that's what's readily available at the shore... many don't have back yards or any yard, they erect the structure on terraces and roof tops... in cities with large Jewish populations there are temporary shops that sell the traditional materials the same as Christmas tree venders that spring up at holiday time. In each part of the planet different plants are incorporated, whatever is available. Nowadays those who are able will have materials shipped from the old country same as Floridians import balsom fir.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I cut mine at ground level with a corn knife and feed them to the neighbor's cattle.

Reply to
Steve.IA

e:

[...]

Yep. Called the Hebrew Bible. Stalks of whatever they grew in those days. Probably wheat, or ? Some Bible expert will know.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Actually, look to technology-creep:The "traditional"the temporary structures are now shipped from China, U-assemble. Only the Orthodox, AFAIK, go to the trouble of erecting the ""hut"" from scratch, esp. in urban areas. So,as previous poster pointed out, these structures are often set up on terraces and roof tops.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson