what to do with old corn stalks?

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more next year.
In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks? Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake fist at and accuse parents of not being married?
Many thanks, -T
Todd wrote:

Compost

Would just burying them 6" under have the same effect?
Todd wrote:

In the long run. The stalks take a while to break down, you could speed the whole thing up by running over them a few times with a mower.

Cut and cover with mulch.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

I add my corn stalks to my Halloween Party Bon Fire pile. People love it after the BBQ and Hay Ride.
--
Nad

Compost pile. Maybe break them up a bit first.
Priscilla

Give them to your Jewish friends for a holyday coming up where people "live" outside in temporary huts open to the sky but covered with maybe cornstalks.
HB
In article

Open, but covered huts, I'll buy(?), but cornstalks in a Jewish ritual?(!!!) There's gotta be a story.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and
Billy wrote:

I have been to meals at a Jewish college where they observed all the religious festivals. At one time the dining hall was festooned with plants and produce (sheaves of wheat etc) as part of their harvest festival which is held about this time of year. One aspect of this (I have since learned) is making booths, or if you like huts.
David

The thing is that Europeans, much less Jews, knew squat from corn until at least 1492. Corn has become part of Jewish rituals during the last 600 years? There's got to be a story. Hellllloooooo.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and
Billy wrote:

I was just explaining the origin of the custom. Whether it is proper to add any available material like corn to the booths or displays, or if it is strictly controlled by ritual I have no idea.
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:20:01 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

No need to explain yourself, Billy is too ignorant and lacks even a modecum of common sense to figure it out for himself. When Jews wandered to the new world they used local native plants, obviously... same as any peoples who relocate adopt the different customs and eat different foods. in NYC tall marsh grasses are often used because that's what's readily available at the shore... many don't have back yards or any yard, they erect the structure on terraces and roof tops... in cities with large Jewish populations there are temporary shops that sell the traditional materials the same as Christmas tree venders that spring up at holiday time. In each part of the planet different plants are incorporated, whatever is available. Nowadays those who are able will have materials shipped from the old country same as Floridians import balsom fir.
On Sep 20, 6:30am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Actually, look to technology-creep:The "traditional"the temporary structures are now shipped from China, U-assemble. Only the Orthodox, AFAIK, go to the trouble of erecting the ""hut"" from scratch, esp. in urban areas. So,as previous poster pointed out, these structures are often set up on terraces and roof tops.
HB
In article

Is this some kind of "shaggy dog" story?
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

Only the othodox would have the sukkoh at all.... no one but the othodox celebrate this holiday, others barely note it exists.
On Sep 21, 8:37am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Where you do get that notion?
HB
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:28:42 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Visit NYC. It's really only the ultra orthodox that celebrate, and not even all build the sukkoh, perhaps a third. It's like what percentage of Christians decorate their house with Christmas lights anymore... not really all that many, nowadays most don't do a tree or even send cards... was a time I sent and received over a hundred cards, last year I sent and received a half dozen and maybe as many ecards. As the years pass I see fewer and fewer houses lit up at Christmas time. Then again I see fewer and fewer American flags displayed. I still have a real tree indoors and I decorate a live tree outdoors. And I display an American flag on all American Holidays. I won't be bothering with buying Halloween candy this year, for the past two years I didn't get even one trick or treater. I'm glad I'm old, I don't want to see where things are going, I already know... the world is less peaceful now than it has ever been... everyone has a big pointy stick up their ass.
In article

What I asked for was the story of how corn became part of a Jewish festival.
Besides communication, languages are ways of seeing the world. To lose a language is to lose a vision of the world.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

Before this goes to DEFCON 4, either of you two Jewish? If so, do you really practice whats preached?