What's the name of this flower?

Could someone please tell me the popular name of this flower, living in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, Northern California?
http://ellisisle.com/gallery_4/view_pages/img_2258.htm
--David
You don't name flowers, you name plant species, Spammy.
Cannot say what it is without seeing the rest of the plant too.
Popular with whom?

With that fly. -paggers

http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

It is probably a member of the Compositae, a family which includes daisies and sunflowers, one of the largest families of flowering plants with some 25,000 species (roughly 10% of the total number of flowering plants). Without a look at the leaves identification is totally impossible.
As a wild guess look up Wyethia (Mules Ears or Mulesear):
http://www.cwnp.org/photopgs/wdoc/wyamplexicaulis.html http://www.pbase.com/image/29523326 http://www.cnrhome.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pidu012 http://extension.usu.edu/rangeplants/forbs/mulesear.htm http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/photos/browse_imgs/plant_com_342.html
Stephen Henning wrote:

Your thoughtful and generous reply has got this plant-identification neophyte off to a good start. Thank you.

there are some of us who make good efforts to answer valid questions. the dry wit isn't always appreciated :P composite flowers are my absolute favorites if I had to choose...... madgardener (I loved the links, Stephen!)
Oh sure.
The Asteraceae (Compositae) is one of the largest flowering plant families.
That should keep a neophyte busy looking for a long long time!!!!