What is this tree/shrub growing in my garden?

The time has come to give up searching pages under 'tree leaf id' on Google!... This tree appeared, in fact, 3 separate ones in the same area but I have no idea what it is. The top/new leaves are a beautiful ruby colour and the older leaves are green and these ones seem to have x11 leaves on each branch. I've removed it as it was growing from under our oil tank but have repotted it as if it's a nice tree I'll keep it.
Will it survive in a pot or will it eventually need to go in the ground and what conditions? Thanks for any help. I'm on the East coast of N Ireland if it helps with anything, was growing in a West facing rear garden?
Have uploaded a pic FYI.
Thanks for any help.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: tree pic.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 660| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
deansplit

deansplit;986134 Wrote: > The time has come to give up searching pages under 'tree leaf id' on > Google!... This tree appeared, in fact, 3 separate ones in the same area > but I have no idea what it is. The top/new leaves are a beautiful ruby > colour and the older leaves are green and these ones seem to have x11 > leaves on each branch. I've removed it as it was growing from under our > oil tank but have repotted it as if it's a nice tree I'll keep it.

> and what conditions? Thanks for any help. I'm on the East coast of N > Ireland if it helps with anything, was growing in a West facing rear > garden?

Looks like ash to me. Pull them out quick, while you can still get the roots out. Unless you want an enormous fast growing tree.
echinosum

On 27/06/2013 12:10, echinosum wrote:

That was my thought too. But where do the purple leaves come from? There is a 70+ foot ash at the end of my garden, with no sign of purple leaves, and none on the seedlings it spreads around.
--

Jeff

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote: > ;986167']That was my thought too. But where do the purple leaves come > from?

I expect they don't stay purple very long. If you google "young ash leaves" you'll see some pictures of some with purplish leaves when they are very fresh.
echinosum

New growth on many plants shows with a color of some shade of red before turning green. Roses are one of these plants. There are plenty of others. The red is some form of sugar in the leaves, if I remember my 6th grade bio correctly. The green is chlorophyl which moves in when the leaves are a little older. It's the same principal as leaves turning colors in the fall, only in reverse.
Priscilla