what is best nutrient for growing plants

There has to be something better than the regular high nitrogen fertilizer right?

Reply to
Lisa Horton

Hi Lisa Horton,

There is no single nutrient that can call as best nutrient for growing plants. The one that plant lack of are the best one. Too much of any single nutrient will become toxic. I prefer to build up my soil with high organic content that will buffer for nutrients.

Regards, Wong

Reply to
nswong

Learn to trim headers or go plant you own dumb selves

Reply to
Tony Spadaro

At my house, dirt seems to work rather well. the plants seem to be adapted to it already.

Reply to
Charles

Try shredding copies of all the crossposted messages and using them as mulch.

Reply to
Paul H.

The best nutrients for plant growth are readily available in any good, fertile soil. If you add compost or other organic amendments on a regular basis, there will be little if any need for additional fertilizers. Fertilize only when specific nutrients are lacking and then I prefer to use an organic fertilizer that breaks down slowly so that the nutrients are absorbed as the plant requires them. You can recognize organic fertilizers (as opposed to synthentic ones) by the three numbers indicating the primary nutrient ratio - they will always add up to less than 20 High nitrogen ferts are good for lawns, but that's about it.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

!!!!!GOOD ONE!!!!

Want a beautiful lawn? Like to protect the environment? You can do both according to a new study conducted by Texas A&M University for the City of Austin.

Nitrogen, one of the three nutrients found in fertilizer, can travel quickly through soil to pollute our groundwater. The City's Watershed Protection and Development Review Department commissioned the study to find out which fertilizers would be least likely to pollute and still satisfy the desire for an attractive lawn. The Texas A&M conducted study compared nine different fertilizers and found that the certified organic or other natural fertilizers out-performed the synthetic ones for both appearance and pollution prevention.

Horticulturists, and soil and water quality scientists considered the new data along with other studies, scientific data and practical experience to revise the recommendations that have been promoted for the last twenty years. These new recommendations reduce fertilizer use by at least 75%!

Test your soil - you can't know what to add to your soil unless you know what's missing Don't Bag It! - think of mowing as fertilizing. Your lawn clippings return 60% of the nitrogen, and 100% of the phosphorous and potassium (fertilizer ingredients) back to the soil. Think how much better it is for the landfill as well. Choose carefully -- certified organic or labeled, natural fertilizer is preferred for a healthier lawn and better water quality. (If using inorganic, apply only half as much, twice as often, to prevent the fertilizer from running off or leaching to our groundwater.) If your soil test shows: Use: Low to Very Low Nitrogen in Soil ½ lb. nitrogen/1,000 square feet 2 times/year Moderate Nitrogen ½ lb. nitrogen/1,000 square feet 1 time/year High to Very High Nitrogen DO NOT FERTILIZE

If you must fertilize without a soil test, never apply more than a moderate nitrogen rate or fertilize more than once a year. Never fertilize before a rain - otherwise the fertilizer can run off and fertilize our creeks, not your lawn Follow these tips to help protect Austin's environment one yard at a time!! See the Fertilizer Study full report.

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.

-- Aldo Leopold

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

I'm Lisa Horton, and the post that started this thread was not from me. It was a fake by a troll.

Despite Valid Cereal's insulting words, I choose to assume that he/she is either too new to Usenet to decipher message headers, or as yet incapable of same.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton

Hi Lisa Horton,

Agriculture are my hobby, but I'm new to rec.gardens. Without a search in Google, I can say nothing. But from the original post it give me an impression that it may be two Lisa Horton here, one of them does not know nettiquette well.

Your header: feed3.news.rcn.net Her header: postnews1.google.com Entries in the header can be forge, but even it's intact, it tell nothing to me. I do post from my ISP NNTP server, but sometime also posted through Google even at days when it's deja-news.

Sincerely speeking, I does not intent to tease you or had any bad meaning, I just said what I know. Of course, what I know can be wrong. :-)

Hi All,

Sorry about the off topic and cross posting.

Best Whishes, Wong

Reply to
nswong

Please trim rec.photo.digital from future responses to this thread.

Thank you.

Reply to
Rick

Please trim rec.photo.digital and other unrelated newsgroups from responses in this discussion.

Thank you.

Reply to
Rick