Something growing on our plants, Fungus maybe ...

Unknown Fungus or stuff growing on our plants ... Can anyone identify what this stuff is ? Is it a fungus or a plant ? Looks like it has an attachment (or stem) to the dirt in the pot ? Is that how it retrieves water ?

Any help is appreciated Thanks

Reply to
Sid 03

Curios and my googling led to something called slime mold. Not quite but related to fungus.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

They look like outdoor plants, so...

Our local cooperative extension mentioned that the abundance of mushrooms in our area, due to all the rain we've had over the summer, is actually a good thing. It shows that our environment is thriving.

I have many different types growing in my lawn and mulched areas. They are even poking up in some areas that have thick ground cover.

I would send those pics to your local cooperative extension or take them to a decent, independent garden center and see what they say. (Not HD or Lowes, etc.)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

It looks like a mushroom to me, or related fungus.

I don't know about retrieving water. I'd be more worried about body snatching.

Reply to
micky

... "cooperative extension" ?

What is that ? Does every city/village/'berg have one ?

Thanks

Reply to
Sid 03

This might help. I think they're limited to one office per county.

Dean Hoffman

Where are you?

Reply to
micky

Illinois

Reply to
Sid 03

I'm sure the U of Illinois has an extension service. All the land grant universities do afaik, certainly the big ones. I think they were originally set up for farmers but they take calls from small homeowners too. They usually have a phone number and are good at answering the phone, but in this case, I guess they have to see the picture.

Reply to
micky

Try these folks...

Marilyn Manson

Someone posted back on Next-Door app and provided the answer:

Sarah Meisch-Sommer It is called a flowerpot parasol. It is a fungus.

From "kingfishermushrooms"

The flowerpot parasol or Leucocoprinus birnbaumii is a very common weed fungi, often found growing from commercial potting mix but also in gardens and more inexplicable places around human habitation. I decided to write this post because the flowerpot parasol or FPP is reported to be mildly poisonous causing significant stomach problems...

Reply to
Sid 03

Thanks for getting back to us, and with a picture too.

Mildly poisonous! That's bad but -- I haven't read the link yet -- did the page say if it snatched your body while you are sleeping? It looks like it would.

Reply to
micky