Weeds on greens?

That's not true. There are various turf grasses that will choke out weeds. Once established golf courses use very little chemicals... it would be so costly to treat the acreage of an 18 hole course that hardly anyone could afford to play. It's costly enough just to mow, especially with the price of equipment and diesel nowadays. Golf courses are maintained by proper irrigation and constant mowing.

Reply to
brooklyn1

JohnO

there's new products on the market and it's not quite the killer as you describe above. Demand for new products that don't cause harm to being green are in high demand and if that's what the people will buy, it will/is be produced.

Not sure what I use but my home and yard attracts many birds of severel species, it's a good thing I like worms though I do admitt the nightcrawlers are kinda creepy (unless I'm fishing) my leaves on my plants stay healthy until it's time for them to fall.

Read the package when you go shopping and you'll most likely find something out there that will work for you and is not full poison. But then I'm not looking for my yard to look like a golf course.

Donna in WA zone8

Reply to
Lelandite

that's a plural

that's a singular (?)

Corn gluten is used as a pre-emergent herbicide, and is organic, but one whiff of Dow, or Monsanto: "RUN"!.

Lawns were (are) a conceit of the rich, demonstrating that they could afford to leave some of their lands fallow. Understood or not, they are status symbols, and not very interesting ones at that.

Reply to
Billy

I think it's been some 20 years since Chemlawn operated under that name... they changed to Truegreen... "Chem" didn't go over too well. Back then on Long Island Chemlawn trucks were as visible as Good Humor trucks.

Most folks don't water lawns properly... really not possible without an automatic irrigation system.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the water.

Reply to
BAR

Yup. Time (or PAST time) to rethink lawns, IMNSHO.

Reply to
Jean B.

Not true... there is still exactly the same quantity of water available as when this planet was created... it's not possible to waste water. It is possible to waste protoplasm, BAR screw.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Depends where in the world you live. Down here in NZ there's a drought in the north, but plenty of water in my town. Not using it will just lead to reservoirs overflowing out to the sea.

For me, not watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the lawn!

Reply to
JohnO

Depends where in the world you live. Down here in NZ there's a drought in the north, but plenty of water in my town. Not using it will just lead to reservoirs overflowing out to the sea.

For me, not watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the lawn!

and by keeping your surroundings green, the danger of fire is lowered. Nothing like dry and/or dead grass and brush around ones home and then some careless smoker or just a small spark from somewhere. This happens all the time. I'll stick with watering. Turf grass? Nay. But green enough.

Donna in WA

Reply to
Lelandite

Depends upon the location of the lawn.

Vegas, yes. Chicago, no.

Reply to
Fred K. Gringioni

In DC I watered my lawn one summer, 1992, it cost me about $400 in water charges. I called the water company and asked them about it and they said that the cost was 1/3 coming in and 2/3 going out and that I could get a meter put on my sewer line for about $1200 dollars. I learned about grass cycle. And I donated $100 per year to the local VFD.

Reply to
BAR

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:27:49 -0400, BAR wrote this crap:

Where I live, water is cheap and plentiful.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmare.

snipped-for-privacy@Horvath.net

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the ultimate power in the universe."

Reply to
Horvath

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:12:20 -0700, "Lelandite" wrote this crap:

Not to mention that a well watered lawn removes carbon dioxide from the air and returns oxygen.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmare.

snipped-for-privacy@Horvath.net

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the ultimate power in the universe."

Reply to
Horvath

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO watering lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it, mind you, but it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing some difficult to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Reply to
Dinosaur_Sr

Our love of tidy but not very diverse yards is imprinted on us by our culture. The immaculate lawn, under siege from ecological writers every- where, developed in the mild and evenly moist climate of Great Britain. Its implications are deeply woven into our psyche. A lawn in preindustrial times trumpeted to all that the owner possessed enough wealth to use some land for sheer orna- ment, instead of planting all of it to food crops. And close-mowed grass proclaimed affluence, too:

a herd of sheep large enough to crop the lawn uniformly short. These indicators of status whis- per to us down the centuries. By consciously recog- nizing the influence of this history, we can free ourselves of it and let go of the reflexive impulse to roll sod over the entire landscape.

Our addiction to impeccable lawns and soldier rows of vegetables and flowers is counter to the tendency of nature and guarantees us constant work."

Reply to
Billy

Yes!!! At least sheep provided manure as the chomped. I have fantasies of having living lawn mowers (but, even better) no need to please anyone with my, um, lawn.

Reply to
Jean B.

Goats taught the Greeks about the importance of pruning grapevines. At least the "pasture" will serve a function , and not just be bourgeois bling.

Reply to
Billy

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. I suspect we all have different criteria about what is waste and what is important.

Reply to
Howard Brazee

Species come and species go, none seem to last forever. It is the arrogance of man that thinks all is for him and must be here for eternity.

Reply to
BAR