Weeds on greens?

What is waste and what is important for an individual, or a species? What? Are you an Ayn Rander, into selfishness, and f*ck the world, or are you a human being? The choices are becoming few.

Reply to
Billy

So say the pundits. Easy come, easy go. How does that work for you? I mean YOU.

Reply to
Billy

Nice try. Let's keep it to the Earth's evolution and the species that have inhabited the Earth. If you want to talk about intra-species habits I sure you can find a group that will play that game.

Reply to
BAR

The sound of one hand clapping.

Reply to
Billy

Good point. The perspective I have here is that potable water is a much more valuable resource to humans than we give it credit for. JMHO, of course, but better to let a tree burn, and release CO2, than to waste water putting out the fire.

Reply to
Dinosaur_Sr

Humans, like other animal species, are inherently selfish. We will act in self interest every time.

Reply to
Dinosaur_Sr

I have seen weeds and moss on greens.

Yes, they use chemical treatment.

Plants are competing against each other. Each sort of plant has its own optimal conditions as a combination of light, temperature, moisture and minerals. Some plants like the same conditions as grass used for lawn. And they survive daily cutting, because their leaves lay flat on the ground. Here in Europe especially Daisy and Broad-leafed Plantain are strong competitors - they lay their broad leaves over the grass covering it, keeping away the light from the grass.

No, new seeds have nearly no chance against the established plants. Also, I doubt that the existing sort of grass is usable for a putting green. You can try to cut it daily short, but it will get brown and die, or it will loose competition against mosses (if moisty).

You need to exchange the soil 1-2 feet (30-60 cm) deep, seed a special sort of grass, and maintain this area like a green-keeper.

For some medium quality you can try

- break up the soil 1-2 feet deep

- remove all roots of plants and all stones by sieving

- order some trucks of washed sand, mix the sand with the soil

- let the remaining weeds grow out for 1-2 weeks, break up and sieve again

- form the surface of the green, it should be higher than the surrounding area, and it should be falling down to let water flow away.

- seed the grass, best time in Europe is May (warm and moisty)

Helmut Wollmersdorfer

Reply to
Helmut Wollmersdorfer

Weeds on the greens Weeds on the greens Lookin like a goattrack with weeds on the greens Divots in the fairways scooped out tee boxes, carts aren't clean Call yourself a cool cat lookin like a fool playin on a course with weeds on the greens! hit the ball!

Reply to
Dinosaur_Sr

You're displaying a gross non-understanding of Rand's thoughts. While it may require less effort on your part it's incorrect.

Reply to
Doc

Rand was still wrong.

Reply to
Carbon

She is right...in every way! More or less!

What, for example is the common good? If everyone benefits, what are the costs and how are they paid? Worst issue of all is who determines what is the common good?

Reply to
Dinosaur_Sr

An elected few who are disconnected from those who elected them.

Reply to
BAR

Would it be a big inconvenience for you guys to keep this conversation in rec.sport.golf? While a number of us have strong feelings about Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman, and neo-liberalism, it is getting in the way of our gardening. We'll look in from time to time to see how the brawl works out;O)

Reply to
Billy

Says the guy who made the comment.

In other words you want to spew ignorant rhetoric unchallenged.

Reply to
Doc

Which is it? Vote for the nightmare or repeal the nightmare?

You still hung up on plutocrat sock puppets? The DNC and the RNC have opted for cash. Repealing the nightmare requires "campaign finance reform".

Reply to
Billy

Sorry, I do better at trimming the newsgroups next time.

Reply to
Billy

Eight million children in the developing world die every year from infectious diseases. Do we need to sit around and scratch our heads about whether doing something about that is to the common good? Does anyone in his right mind adhere to the Ayn Rand point of view, which would be: tough shit for them?

Reply to
John B.

How many people in developed countries die of infectious diseases? How many people die of drowning? How many people die in automobile accidents? How about lifting the idiot ban on DDT? How many people have died of malaria because of the ban on DDT? Despite no evidence at all that it harms humans, and limited evidence that it harms birds when used irresponsibly....but it had to be banned...by people like you! Gonna take responsibility for the ban...think the radical environmentalists will take responsibility for all those deaths?

So what do *YOU* actually do about it, right now, today...or is your only issue what should other people do about it?

Reply to
Dinosaur_Sr

I'll answer one of your questions, which is how many people have died of malaria b/c of the DDT ban? The answer is zero, because DDT is not banned in Africa. The rest are too stupid to bother with.

Reply to
John B.

Really? There was never a worldwide ban on DDT? And how much DDT has Africa produced over the years in any event? I'll suggest that hundreds of millions have died because of the DDT ban. Prove me wrong!

Reply to
Dinosaur_Sr