Vine thread

This seems to have been missed in the middle of the rest of the thread, so, I'm re-posting it...
wrote:

I've never paid too much attention to the leaves but, I'll check once they start to grow back this season.
I certainly don't remember seeing any sorts of berries.

The property that the vines are coming from has just been sold, although we don't know if it's still being kept as a rental property, or, if the new owners are moving in to live there. With the latter situation, it would be much more likely we could get them to help clear out the vines.

Just about the only _good_ thing about living on a property that's 60'x100' is that there's not much to maintaining it :). If I had an acre to try to recover, I think I'd let the vines have it!
So, I can spray it with Roundup? I bought a big container of that to kill the weeds growing in between the concrete sections of my driveway. Will that kill my lawn (I think the label said it would kill grass) too? I mean, if I spray it on the vines? I won't necessarily "mind" if it will kill patches of grass, I just want to be prepared.
And, "how" do I use it? Obviously, I spray it on the vines, but, can I still continue to pull them out? Someone else in the group said not to pull them, but, if I don't, then, I can't rake or mow (they catch both the rake tines and the mower blades). Should I maybe pull what I can and then spray Roundup on any bits that get left behind (to kill broken roots that might make new plants)? I know I can spray the vines that are wrapped around things (trees and fencing and stuff), but, I don't see how I can spray the vines that are just under the surface of the ground WITHOUT pulling them up.
Also, while I'm thinking of it, what if I bought _alot_ of Roundup and put it in a big power sprayer and (with the permission of the neighbors) went next door and sprayed the zones that the vines are coming from? Would that completely kill them in those areas, or, just the ones exposed on the surface? If I did that a few times during the season would it be likely to actually 'kill' them completely?
The areas the vines are coming from are quite literally "just" vines and sapling/small trees, with maybe some scraggy underbrush plants. If I could effectively kill them in the 'nest' it might make recovering my property bordes that much easier.
Gwen
Round up will circulate through the vine down to the roots and will kill the whole plant it will kill some grass but it is a fast working chemical and the residue will go away quickly and planting new seed will be ok let the vine completely die about week after spraying if it is poison ivy you might want a professional to rid it for you . It can be a serious reaction if you take removing it into your own hands. it can get in your eyes lungs in side of your mouth and requires a treatment which is a pain take it from some one who is quite alergic. the oils in the plant can become air born and get into lungs mostly if burned but some people are super sensitive and just pulling out the vines and chopping them up to get rid of is enough. if you get a rash easily from poison ivy than don't try it on yor own. also there is poison oak and sumac which produce similar effect. so be wary. good luck
On Wed, 05 May 2004 12:41:07 -0400, Gwen Morse