Use of the term "clon" in horticulture

A clone is genetically identical to the mother plant. The method of propagation does not factor into the definition.

In general, a rooted cutting is a clone. However, as you noted, there are examples of rooted cuttings that are not genetically identical.

--beeky

eclectic wrote:

Reply to
beeky

"Mon Chi Chi" wrote in news:gN6dnd0m6c3XuT snipped-for-privacy@golden.net:

Next week's church newsletter headline:

Julie McC Caught Advocating Cloning As Chapel Burned

elsewhere: Missing "E" found, reunited with "CL" and "ON". French blamed for incident.

[from rec.gardens]
Reply to
Salty Thumb

You are not "cloning" when you do that. You are propagating by cutting. There is a scientific difference and the process is entirely different. Cloning takes whatever sport of whatever plant you are using and reproduces it's exact properties, while a cutting can revert.

Reply to
escapee

Reply to
Mon Chi Chi

Chimeras have more than one genotype (genetic makeup), and challenge what we generally consider to be a horticultural clone. A descendant of a chimera may contain the identical genetic makeup of the parent plant, but depending on how the "clone" was propagated, its attributes may be unstable. I think that was Victoria's point with regard to sports, and why the industry uses tissue culture to ensure the anomaly is passed on reliably.

Regards.

Reply to
eclectic

You all could read the articles that were cited and then resume you argument.

Reply to
hortstudent

Or not bother and move on to someting else!

Reply to
Cereus-validus

a ya! done

Reply to
escapee

"Mon Chi Chi" wrote in news:b9Sdnc6i-9VIFz snipped-for-privacy@golden.net:

I got a chuckle from your church fire. But I have been known to start geometry threads, too.

Reply to
Salty Thumb