unwelcome: RATS!!!!

i have RATS! ugh!

i also have 2 dogs whom i would not endanger in any way! my vet has told me that, despite what the pest control firms tell you, the bait used to kill rats CAN be gotten by the dogs & that the rats CAN be secondarily poisonous to the dogs. she said to put down NO poison! she says she sees too many pets who have been poisoned in thse ways. so, I will do exactly that -- put down NO poison.

so, with the wonders of the internet, I have found Shake-Away which is a fox/coyote urine blend in crystal or powder form.

predator urine, it supposedly keeps the rats away. Has anybody tried this approach or this product & with what results? i'm at my wits end!!

Judy with her dogs & her unwanted RATS! :

((.)) ')) (((((((( ))(/)((

Reply to
Judy Cosler

It absolutely will NOT work. You need to check the source of their food. Feeding pets outdoors is a primary one. Check to see if your garbage lid fits tightly. Do you feed the birds? Birdseed can attract rats. Eliminate their food source and you eliminate most of the problem. For what remains, get another dog. A terrier. They were bred to kill rats and do a very good job. Or a couple of inside outside cats, preferably female.

Reply to
Sunflower

Just get a big old rat trap and bait with peanut butter. You may get a squirrel but they are rats too. Spring may hurt a dog's paw but will not kill him. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

((.)) ')) (((((((( ))(/)((

Reply to
Judy Cosler

It sounds like you want to try the predator urine. Therefore, why don't you try it and get back to us. The worse that can happen is that you will spend your money on a bottle of piss and you will still have rats.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Hi Judy, Did pest control tell you what type of rats you had? Their habits are a bit different and it might help you to know that. Where do the rats live? Where do they get their food? Where do they get their *water*? Rats generally won't travel more than 150 feet from where they live to get food and water. Empty the dogs' water bowls every evening and be extra careful with food too. Is there any other water source available to them? Think sump pumps, ponds, kiddie pools, etc...you may not be able to eliminate the water source but if you identify it, you can trap on the path to it.

Your vet is correct. Chunks of poison bait can wind up on the floor around the bait stations, or the dog could ingest a poisoned rat. Besides, when the sick rat goes to hide in the ceiling or walls to die you will have another nasty surprise. Maggots and then huge flies from the decaying body, smells bad too. Pest control told us the bodies dry up and it wouldn't happen, it was not so when we bought a house with a mouse problem a few years ago and used the poison baits.

I would use traps. Use several along their path of travel. Look for droppings, smudges at the baseboards. Rats are creatures of habit and tend to travel the same path every day, but they are also *way* smarter than mice. Once they find out what the traps do, they will steer clear. I would consider putting the traps down unset and let them get used to them, they will be cautious at first. Later, bait them with a barely visible smear of peanut butter and set the springs.

I doubt it will work. I once tried it to keep rabbits from munching on my plants. Somehow they determined "that fox don't hunt" and kept on munching away. I can just picture these catherized, muzzled foxes with urine drainage bags strapped to their bellies....eewwww

Rat terrier? Rat snakes? Barn cat? Maybe you can borrow one of these from someone? Try posting at alt.consumers.pest-control. They've been helpful to me several times. Lately I have flying squirrels, very cute, but I want them outta my attic!

jo Does anyone know why my Bressingham African Lily leaf ends turned white overnight after planting?

Reply to
jo

:) CAN be secondarily poisonous to the dogs. she said to put down NO :) poison! she says she sees too many pets who have been poisoned in :) thse ways. so, I will do exactly that -- put down NO poison.

Hunt down a tamper resistant bait station that is designed to also house a snap trap...set the trap, close the container, check daily.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

:) I know about their food source. it's not here. that's not the :) answer. what makes you say the predator urine "absolutely will NOT :) work?" have you tried it?

I have kept either fox or coyote urine on my truck for over 10 years for customers who may want to try an alternative approach to repel various types of rodents...can't think of anyone ever saying they had positive results.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

A cairn terrier will show the rats no mercy.

Reply to
nina

Rats will subsist quite well on dog wastes so the food source is there. Learn to trap , traps existed long before poison baits.

Reply to
Beecrofter

This will help:

I Love Rats Wo Yeah Love 'em wearing hats Wo Yeah Love 'em in my trousers Wo Yeah Make me yell "Yowzehs!" Wo Yeah

Gotta love rats Wo Yeah Hear their pitty-pats Wo Yeah On the dinner table Wo Yeah Wherever they're able Wo Yeah

Ratty-rat rats Wo Yeah Peering through the slats Wo Yeah Nino, Nyx, & Nana Wo Yeah Begging a banana Wo Yeah

Better than ants Wo yeah Squirmin' in my pants Wo yeah I even love their pee-oh Wo yeah And my rats love me-oh!

Reply to
paghat

It doesn't bother squirrels. Perhaps it would work for rats, but from what I've seen, it works good in theory, but in practice, just causes pests to be warry.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Reply to
theoneflasehaddock

That's good advice. I'd set out about 10 traps, leave them UNSET, for a couple weeks... bait them for a couple nights with a small amount of peanut butter, as said. Then set and bait them all one night, while keeping the dog away.

Though not necessarily much smarter than mice, rats are extremely wary of new things. The traps are unlikely to be approached the first couple weeks after they are placed.

Good luck.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Reply to
theoneflasehaddock

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Hi theoneflasehaddock,

From my experience, if trap are place at the right spot(e.g. rat path along a wall), we can get them immediatly.

I do use other type of trap before, but glue trap do best for me.

Below are a post I post to rec.gardens.edible.

[rec.gardens.edible start]

From: "nswong" Subject: Re: tomato leaves eaten.... Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 12:14 AM

Hi Katra,

I get rats with rat glue on a piece of plywood very success upto an extent that other wonder how this can be.

The area of glue apply are depend on the size of rat. Minimum length should be two and a half of the rat length(not included tail). Minimum width should be two and a half of the rat width. This is due to the observe from me that when rat first step on the glue, it will be able to make a jump. After the jump, if the front claw of rat are out of the glue area, the rat will got chance to escape by crawlling with front claw. Three side of plywood should have minimum one inch of margin clear of glue for our thumb to hold when placing the plywood. The side with glue should touch wall.

The plywood should put at rat path(where rat like to run through along a wall). Or the rat jump from a place to reach another place, if the rat jump to your table to eat your food, put the plywood on the table at that spot.

Plywood should be lay flat, if it's slanted, the weight of rat will slowly pull rat off the glue area.

The glue should chose the less smell type, or else you may need few days to wait for the small disappear before get your first rat.

The glue should not be watery.

After removed the rat from glue, hold plywood slanted under water tap to wash off rat *output*. And put it slanted against a wall to let water drip off.

Refill the part lack of glue that due to remove with rat together.

All this should be quite easy to understand.

The tough part are I don't know how to explain the way to apply glue. If the glue does not apply correctly to the plywood, rat will be able to escape quite easily.

A piece of plywood can get as much of about ten rat per night, this is assume that you remove the rat when you heard it *sqeet* to free up the space.

From my experience, as long as you put it at the right place, you can glue bird, fly, snake, ... Almost anything that does not in the water.

Regards, Wong

[rec.gardens.edible end]

Regards, Wong

-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Reply to
nswong

snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) wrote in news:paghat- snipped-for-privacy@soggy72.drizzle.com:

Smelly rat, smelly rat What are they feeding you? Smelly rat, smelly rat It's not your fault

They won't give you any rest You're obviously not their favourite pest You may not have eaten any roses But they'll try to kill you with garden hoses

Smelly rat, smelly rat What are they feeding you? Smelly rat, smelly rat It's not your fault

They tried to catch you in a trap Because you always leave small piles of crap Then they tried some poison bait But you just shared it with your mate

Smelly rat, smelly rat What are they feeding you? Smelly rat, smelly rat It's not your fault

They tried to scare you with coyote pee But you just thought it was funny Smelly rat, they really really hate you Your stench is even worse than peacock poo

Please don't stay Smelly rat, please run away Don't you know that Or else you'll make lunch for Smelly cat

(with apologies to Regina Phalange)

Reply to
Salty Thumb