Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Cheryl Isaak" < snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:BD258AC0.3BD0A% snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net...
If it were way more affordable than $6000 to buy the naming rights of a new cultivar, I'd love to name a daylily "Monkey Dunky." The tragedy would be if like most cultivars it just vanished from production anywhere in the world shortly after being named & registered, & my precious Monkey Dunky would never be seen again.
-paghat the ratgirl
On 7/22/04 3:47 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@accnorwalk.com, "Wil"
wrote:

few
No I have not seen that one of hers. I know she is a cold climate daylily hybridizer. I don't find a picture of it on her web site.
Wil

Here you go - it is even tooth-ier in person!
http://www.daylilies.netheaven.com/rogue.html
Cheryl
snipped-for-privacy@iguana.reptiles.org (Cat) in (Cat)

http://images.google.com/images?q=antimacassars+&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wi
site suffers from javascript disese

thought you were joking but http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=ditch%2Dlily

if someone did same in my front yard, i wouldn't dig it up unless i suspected a disease/pest introuction, but daylillies dry out quickly unless one is willing to give them lawn (tall fescue) level of irrigation
<< These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics. >>
$200 for a daylily? Vey is mir. What are they made of? Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming train." Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Seriously! For fifteen bucks, you can buy "Hyperion", one of the most gorgeous yellow daylillies in existence.

next
You're paying too much - according to Eureka ( a daylily price guide) Hyperion goes for $5 a double fan.
Cheryl
On 7/21/04 9:19 AM, in article m3uLc.494$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Doug Kanter"

Yeah, but I'm thinking even if you DID pay that much, it's still just as pleasurable to grow as a $200 monster. Maybe even more so.

the
oncoming

You have GOT to be kidding. If you are paying $15 for Hyperion you are paying about 3 times what the value is among daylily growers. And you will be getting a tissue cultured plant from your garden center that may or may not perform up to what a plant division is of Hyperion that made it popular many years ago.
Wil
Not to change the topic, but could you explain why a tissue culture would perform differently than a plant division? I though tissue cultures were an exact clone.

will
popular

an
In some plants the tissue culture performs well. However it has been proven by daylily growers that there is a percentage of so called clones, tissue cultured plant, that have problems with the plant performance. I have bought a cloned daylily from say, Wal Mart that did not even bloom. But others have bought the same named variety from Wal Mart that is performing well. Sometimes the depth of color saturation is not the same as the original by plant division. Sometimes the flower form just is not as perfect, ruffled, large bloom, good performance upon opening in the AM etc, as the division plant. I suppose the cause has to do with the process. Perhaps an imperfect process in the lab can mutate cloned piece. I don't know if anyone has even said definitively what causes the problem. Daylily growers only know it happens when the plant is grown. Also for the serious daylily grower, [as opposed to a gardener that wants to enjoy a plant at a reasonable price] some tissue cultured plants have been sold in the upper markets as true divisions at the true division price. You can see how that can cause a problem in the daylily market where prices are originally very high.
Wil

I love Hyperion. Someone in the neighborhood has a mass planting of them.
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:19:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Here Here I agree Cheers

next
Any new cultivar of any new plant variety is pricy. New hybrids of daylilies are no exception. The serious hybridizer, seller, grower will buy a cutting edge daylily for its genes that produce a new color, new eye pattern, maximum bud counts and branching. They want to use in their own crosses or increase it to sell while the price is still high.
Also there are always the elite gardeners that want the first of any cultivar. Have you checked the price of a new, non tissue cultured Hosta, or a new non tissue cultured Iris? Or even any new non tissue cultured perennial? Oh heck, have you checked the licensing price the garden center must pay to be able to grow and sell The Wave petunia? Those $200 daylilies are priced that way because there are only a hand full of that particular cultivar in the whole world. Not making excuses for the prissiness, but explaining why there is a market for those high priced lovelies.
Wil
just proovs I'd never make it rubbing elbows with the rich gardeners I'm just too satisfied with the old tried and true although I have a very pretty canna that I got from a friend and it is doing quite well and I get a lot of ooo's and ahhh's from the neighbors but I think that it's just not worth it to pay through the nose for a fancy flower like that unless you are a nursery who plans to grow and sell it it's like paying two hundred and fifty dollars for some sort of new sneaker or six thousand dollars for a suit just to wear once I guess if you have nothing better to do with your money go ahead go crazy

Daylily growers and hybridizers are not rich folks. Some are scientists in horticulture. Some are plenty wealthy though from a life time of work in other unrelated career fields. I sell plenty of tried and true older daylilies for $6. They are much less expensive from me, a daylily counasour, than from the garden centers who pay less for a daylily tissue culture than I pay for a true division, but the garden centers over charge for the variety. I can sell you a very nice newer developed daylily for $15. The very expensive ones are for collectors and breeders and those who want the "rolls royce" of NEW daylily introductions. Given a little time the $200 daylily will be $6. It is supply and demand. When they are so plentiful I chop them up. They are of little value unless someone rescues it.
Wil
On 7/22/04 8:03 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@accnorwalk.com, "Wil"

Well said.
I sell daylilies from my garden to word of mouth customers (friends of friends, typically) - very few things for more than $10 for a triple fan for a newer intro.
I refuse to buy anything that is a first year intro that is more than $50; sometimes even I just HAVE TO have it.
Cheryl

for
Oh don't i know that "have to have" feeling. In my breeding program I buy ones I once thought were so out of reach for me. The turn over the first few years of the expensive ones are to other growers/hybridizers looking for a bargain price for a new daylily. The hybridizer keeps his price higher than I do for many years after I am trying to sell the increase that is too much for my garden space. :-)
I am about to intro a few new varieties. I am wrestling with what to charge for a single fan of the new cultivars. I agree many of the new things are way over priced, mostly by the top hybridizers located in Florida, Texas and the Carolinas. I am way up north where many of the new southern intros just are not hardy for me the first year or so. They may survive but perform here like a wal mart tissue culture [laughing].
There is a mindset among the buyers of new intros that if one charges too little for the new daylily it must be third rate. Far from it. I would love to get plugged into the backyard hybridizers whose work is under rated because they are new to daylily breeding. A few well known hybridizers get all the attention, but many are producing lousy cultivars for northern growers. Don't get me wrong, they sure have a pretty face but there are problems with hardiness, flower opening, color saturation or foliage that gets raggy mid season. In early summer we still may have 60 degree nights. That can make a beauty look ugly real fast.
Wil
On 7/22/04 8:55 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@accnorwalk.com, "Wil"

I have a few times - once for support a buddy who was just starting to release to the public and it is still doing great things for me. And another was only $35 and had "personality".

Do you need a test site? :) Do post your website or send me some pictures!

One of the formerly local hybridizers from my local club would go down to Florida and buy the unregistered siblings (same cross) of the keepers and so called bridge plants (used to hopefully pass on certain qualities).
BTW - where are you! Cheryl