tulips

hey all,
I've got a tulip question... my first year with them. i bought them from a store rather than grow from a bulb. I know its lame, but i'm learning.
i have a question hopefully you can help out with.... when the season is done, do i snip of the flower head, trim it right down, or do i just let the flower die by itself and it will take care of itself next season...?
thanks a lot in advance, phil
Phil Jones wrote:

I have a question similar. I bought them from the store ready to bloom, too. I put them in a pot. What should I do with them now?
amy

the
Snip off the dead flower and care for them till the leaves start to yellow. At that time you can lift them for replanting or leave them in position for next year. Tulips are notorious for not flowering well in following years. The bulbs are sold when able to flower the next spring but from then on it's a matter of luck. Daffodils are the most reliable repeaters. Best Wishes. Brian.

thanks much!!!!!

bulbs
matter
I have tulips that I planted in the fall of 2000 and they still bloom every spring for me. I cut off the flower at the top of the stem after the bloom has waned, and just let the leaves die off naturally. Last fall I dug up the bulbs and split them (they grow new bulbs that remind me of cloves of garlic) and the smaller bulbs will need another winter before they produce a flower. If your bulbs are in a pot, you can cut the flower off, let the leaves die off, then in the fall plant them in a sunny spot, and plant them as deep as their length (a one inch bulb should be at least one inch in the ground) and plant them pointy end up! If you want to keep them in the pot, you can, just keep the pot in a cool spot in the winter.
JewelOfTheGnarf wrote:

As long as they are cool in the winter they will be alright? <in the pot> I have no cool place until winter unless I bring them in the house...
amy
put them in the ground if they hav not died back yet but them in the ground now they will be fine and need to get cold in the winter to bloom properly

Thanks. I've find a spot to stick them in the ground.
amy
Michelle wrote:

trim off the flower and let the greens go they recharge the bulb for next year and that is important for the ones at the store because they are usually forced and that depleats the bulb so let the greens go till they die. good luck
On Sun, 16 May 2004 16:12:14 -0500, "Phil Jones"