Tulip question

My friend is digging up his tulips and I'm going to take them. The foliage is dying back now. Do I need to replant them immediately or can I hold them in a dark place and replant them in the fall instead?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

The bulbs will be better off if you put them in the ground as soon as you get them. A little bone meal in each hole should be added as you plant them. You can plant annuals right over the newly planted bulbs if you wish.

Reply to
Bill R

FragileWarrior is dying back now. Do I need to replant them immediately or can I hold them

Has the foliage fully ripened? If not, then you're going to set the bulb back severely by transplanting while the leaves are green and growing. Keep as much soil around them as you can and disturb the roots as little as possible.

Reply to
Ann