Tree removal

I have dead maple tree that must be removed,trunk diameter guess to be 18" at base,is it possible to have the stump ground down to below dirt level,I would like to put in another tree in the same area.

rental for a day (I'd guess it would cost around $150) and do it yourself, but unless you're a real fan of noise and flying bits of dirt and wood, you'd probably do better to call around to tree companies to find someone to do it for you.
The guy I work with charges by the inch (diameter of stump, not diameter of trunk at breast height). This is for grinding to a depth of 6 inches. For twice the price, you can get twice the depth. He has a $100 minimum. This may not be much help to you where you are as markets vary, but it's something to start with. You shouldn't have much trouble finding someone with a grinder nearby. Probably the first company you call will either do it or know someone who will.
good luck, keith