Tree Farms

There are three black walnut trees in the yard. When I look thru my tree books I always read how black walnut wood is in high demand.

I was wondering, how hard is it to create and run a tree farm with trees like black walnut or even Christmas trees?

Just wondering. It seems like easy money to me but I know nothing about three farms.

Reply to
Von Fourche

Big difference in growing black walnut and x-mas trees but neither is easy money, both require a humongous amount of labor. Black walnuts you plant now very likely won't grow to marketable size in your lifetime. The property I live on was planted in Norway spruce and white fir some 50 years ago in the hopes of making an easy buck. Fergeddaboudit... the last owner spent most of his adult life tending to those trees and finally gave up, after all that labor there wasn't much market for a few years here and there yet the trees kept growing, they outgrew their usefulness as x-mas trees before there was a demand... so now I have a lovely mixed forest. I have plenty of trees of all sizes but I don't cut any, instead I buy my x-mas tree for $20 from Lowes... I haven't the heart to cut any of the loveliest ones that would make a nice holiday tree. In fact whenever I see a seedling pop up in one of my beds I move it to where it will thrive, just moved two tiny seedlings two days ago from under a muhgo pine to a hedgerow. I suggest you search the net, there are lots of web sites that explain in great detail how to farm black walnut, x-mas trees, and many others... I strongly suggest you educate yourself instead of making fatal mistakes.

brooklyn1

If you have the land, it is very easy if you have the patience. As a woodworker cherry is currently in vogue, but maybe that will likely change in 15-20 years to maple or oak. Most loggers do not like to harvest wood located on residential properties (metal parts ruin expensive sawmill blades).

Reply to
Phisherman

I need to find a good book on tree farming. Something like tree farming for dummies. I really need a good book on book on how trees work first, their biology or whatever you call it.

Reply to
Von Fourche