Black Walnut trees removal & disposal

After living with quite a number of large B.W. trees in my 1 1/2 year old new home, I have decided several need to be removed. They are just too darn messy, and I'm having some trouble with plants within their driplines.

Since all are fully leafed out now, and already dropping nuts, I envision a pretty huge pile of grindings when the tree guys come.

If I decide to leave all these grindings on my property somewhere, to compost into future usable soil enrichment, will these composted grindings be toxic to other plantS, or are the walnut toxins only produced while the trees are alive?

Also, I will have a bunch of logs, some maybe over 2' diameter. Would these be of any value other than making several winter's worth of firewood?

David in MD

Reply to
newsreader

Black walnut lumber is very valuable and you would do better looking for someone to buy the trees and remove them for you.

You will encounter the same antigrowth toxins from the dead stuff as you will from the live trees. See above.

Used mostly for gun stocks and furniture David, very valuable wood. I brokered a sale of 10,000 board feet a number of years ago and the owner made out like a bandit. Check around in your area for folks who might be interested in buying them.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Reply to
Köi-Lö

I wonder if posting this in rec.woodworking might generate some interest for the OP's trees.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
Elaine

Those roots have some fantastic patterns and are also worth money so don't grind them up, The other funk has it dead on.......every inch of a walnut is worth $$$$$

Are they walnut logs? I certainly would not burn em.

Reply to
~Roy~

Reply to
The Other Funk