Tree encyclopedia

Has anyone seen a really good, comprehensive tree encyclopedia they could recommend? Thanks, Jackie
"J. Davidson" wrote:

The Internet.

This is what I have been using, but I would rather have a big, comprehensive, tree book in color, showing leaves, mature trees, baby trees. Even if it is just for Mississippi, or just for the USA. Jackie
YES TREE ANATOMY for starters. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/ANATOMY.html
The only book of its type. All samples were alive when the pictures were taken. Your library should have it or can get it.
Remember, wood anatomy is different then tree anatomy.
Remember how people treated the human body before dissections lead to an understanding of the human body? Same with trees.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
symplastless wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

Actually, he's pushing Shigo's work via his own site.
Here's the direct link without the garbage.
http://www.shigoandtrees.com/Books/tabid/161/CategoryID/1/List/0/Level/1/Default.aspx
Via the offical Dr. Alex Shigo website.
http://www.shigoandtrees.com
You can also find the books on Amazon.com via a search for "Alex L. Shigo"
Or for those who think amazon.com is over rated anymore, goto bn.com

Sher
What problem do you have with a tree anatomy book about trees?
BTW I found this post by you. - - - - - - - - - [I thought I would help a friend to install a Dell floppy drive in his new Dimension Desk Top computer. I'm sorry I volunteered. It should have been a quick install. However, the manual that came with the drive is one of the worst I have ever seen. Illustrations are almost useless, and text is just as bad. ] - - - - - - - - - That's how I see most of the manuals for pruning and treating trees. Thats why I often reveal these books and dvd's to people on this list. Its to the point, good information, on proper tree care. Its a little more complex to understand tree treatments than it is understanding how to install a drive in a computer. Oviously you have problems reading and understanding instructions. maybe you shoul try TREE BASICS. If you cannot afford to buy one I will send you one FREE! http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TBASICS.html
If you have trouble understanding the books I would go through them page by page with you. Who else offers you such help? I care about you. Many don't! The tree anatomy book is a great book on the anatomy of trees. When did you try reading it? You would not be putting down a book you never read would you?
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Hands down:
http://books.google.com/books?id=CmKi3t5qZe4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:Michael+inauthor:A+inauthor:Dirr&sig H2YwGk-5bORus3pg3PeoqbLD0
cut and paste it if the link is too long or do a search on Dr. Dirr.
Jangchub wrote:

http://books.google.com/books?id=CmKi3t5qZe4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:Michael+inauthor:A+inauthor:Dirr&sig H2YwGk-5bORus3pg3PeoqbLD0
Man, that's the worst digitalization I'd seen in goog books for a while. At least it's a good preview minus those warped pages.
Thanks, I checked and it is in our library. If it is wonderful I will by a copy. Jackie Jangchub wrote:

r:Michael+inauthor:A+inauthor:Dirr&sigH2YwGk-5bORus3pg3PeoqbLD0
--------------45C835C42096EC8141FF84EF Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Another old but classic book is "Trees for American Gardens" by Donald Wyman. I bought a 1972 edition on Amazon for almost nothing.
Sherwin
"J. Davidson" wrote:

--------------45C835C42096EC8141FF84EF Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------45C835C42096EC8141FF84EF--
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:34:15 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand

Yeah, but it gets to the point. It's a great book.
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:51:31 -0600, "J. Davidson"

I don't think you will find just one book that covers everything. I have a lot of them (books), each one has its strengths and weaknesses. For just one book that has good info for identifying trees in North America you could try this one:
North American Trees by Richard J. Preston, Jr.
My copy is an older "Fourth Edition" this is the current updated copy:
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
A Field Guide to Eastern Trees (Peterson Field Guides) by George A. Petrides, Janet Wehr, and Roger Tory Peterson
This is a good, brief, general guide for ID'ing.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
Trees of Michigan and the Upper Great Lakes by Norman Foster Smith
This guide has lots of nice pictures. Not as complete as the others, but more in-depth.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
Michigan Trees, Revised and Updated: A Guide to the Trees of the Great Lakes Region by Burton V. Barnes and Warren H. Wagner
This title is sometimes used as a college text (or so I've been told).
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
If you are looking for something in particular, it would be best to describe that in more detail.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b