tree branch identification?

I know this is an odd question, and I am not sure if it belongs in this section. But can anyone identify what tree this branch came from. I have a stack of it in my yard that a friend gave me but have no clue what it is. My guess would be cherry wood? It has redish-like bark, and under the bark is a layer of brownish, under that layer is a yellowish color and under that is a whiter color of wood. Anybody have an idea of what it is? I basically need to know if it is toxic or not. Thanks.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: DSCN0588.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 376| |Filename: DSCN0587.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 377| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
illius

illius said:

If those were cut in my neighborhood, It wouldn't be uneasonable to identify those as mulberry branches. At least, tha's what immediately came to mind when I looked at them. (Mulberry chips are pretty good for smoking or grilling.)
Cherry would have shinier bark and more distinct lenticles.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Thanks for the reply, Just to narrow it down sum I live in colorado in the US. So it is near the mountains not quite at them, but close to them. I ask this question because I widdled a pipe out of one of these branches, But if it is toxic in anyway then it is a dud.
illius

Perhaps of the Salix (willow) family

if so its not toxic and the bark is good for headaches and plant propagation
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 04:43:18 +0000, illius

I doubt it's any kind of stone fruit... looks more like poplar or young maple. Without mature trunk bark, and with no twigs, no leaves, no buds, or growth habit, it's difficult to say what it is but I'd bet my bippee it ain't cherry, peach, or plum. Doesn't look like hickery, pecan, or any nut tree of which I'm familiar that's used for smoking food. Thing is all wood smoke is a carcinogen.

As is all burned, or fried food. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide#Some_articles_on_the_potential_h ealth_risks_to_humans>
--
- Billy

That's not true for fried foods so long as the cooking oil is not heated above its smoke point and the food is not cooked until burned. Frying is actually a very healthful way to cook, as in stir-fry. Cooking fat in of itself presents no health risk so long as one doesn't over indulge with the fat calories... fat is an important nutrient, just not eating an entire pound of potato chips.

As is all burned, or fried food. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide>

--
- Billy
illius wrote:

This is too difficult to identify with any certainty from a photo. I wouldn't use it for smoking unless you know for certain what it is. Ask your friend what kind of wood he gave you.
gloria p