Transplant Blue Hibiscus

I want to transplant a Blue Hibiscus. It is the survivor of two Blue Hibiscus I had in handsome pots on each side of the back door. I took proper care of them, AFAIK, but they were never really happy, and after several years, one died.
Years ago I had one in the ground, also well cared-for, but it, too, died.
Paghat's site says:
"Alyogine huegelii is best for zones 9 and 10, ideal & hardy for desert or arid gardens, but not an easy shrub for our temperate maritime climate (USDA Zone 8). It will usually rot during rainy winters, yet so flowery it can be grown even if only as a defacto annual that won't last long enough to become the large woody shrub it ought to be. into that area. "
Does Paghat have it right? Should I get the message? Has anybody in So.Cal. coastal had better luck?
TIA
Hypatia