Hibiscus devoured

Inchworms devoured a potted hibiscus on my deck over the course of a week while I wasn't home. It now looks like a hibiscus skeleton. What can I use on the hibiscus plants I have scattered throughout the yard, which are now also begining to show signs of inchworm damage?

The devoured plant seems to be sprouting new leaf buds - any chance of it surviving? I'm on Long Island, New York.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

:) Inchworms devoured a potted hibiscus on my deck over the course of a week while :) I wasn't home. It now looks like a hibiscus skeleton. What can I use on the :) hibiscus plants I have scattered throughout the yard, which are now also :) begining to show signs of inchworm damage? :) :) The devoured plant seems to be sprouting new leaf buds - any chance of it :) surviving? I'm on Long Island, New York.

You can use any general insecticide to stop the problem, probably needing to re apply in a couple of weeks and depending on what you use a third another week down the road may be needed. Something systemic may allow you to use a one time treatment. If you want to go natural, a B.T. product (such as dipel) will give good results. You might want to reapply as the new growth appears. To aid the stripped plant try to keep it out of the hotter afternoon sun.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

The hardy hibiscus are very hardy in many ways. We cannot grow them her in SC without spraying. Diazinon can damage most hibiscus. Use Orthene or Dipel. Orthene controls for quite a good while. We get by with 3 sprayings/ season. Without them, we have just skeletons. Gary

Reply to
V_coerulea