Tomato horrors

At this link:
http://www.onearth.org/article/tomatoland-book-excerpt
you can read about Florida tomato growing.
Then, if you have a farmers' market or co-op or your own garden, or other source for real tomatoes, give thanks to whatever gods may be.
HB
In article

Darn you yet another book to read. Tomatoland.
Still I remember here in the garden state when the produce was picked by hand a hard task done by people who would pick string beans for 25 cents a basket. I know I did it one year. Got into painting the High School rooms next summer. Then something occurred as the tomatoes were planted in wider rows and a machine took them all at one time. Gone were the pickers soon to be followed by the truck farms replaced by homes and lawns. Also gone were the folks looking for missed gems.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon