Tomato Roots

Why do people need to post claims with nothing to back them up... I seriously doubted tomato roots grew 10' deep, so I checked, at best they grow 2' deep and about as wide, with the main portion about 1' deep, just like most trees.

Redwood trees don't have very deep root systems, especially considering their height:

Brooklyn1

Sounds as if you are trying to bonsai tomatoes. I used to use grow bags to grow mine in, but the roots would grow through the drainage holes in the bottom, through gaps in the 100 mm (4 in) flooring blocks and into the soil underneath. Easily 10 inches. I currently use 12 in deep (2

1/2 gallon) buckets, and the roots take up most of the space
Reply to
Bigal

So, if I gave you 10" it'd feel like I'm giving you 10'... ya know, I believe you! LOL

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Brooklyn1 often spouts off about things he really does not know. I would not have seen his comments except for your reply. I have a filter set to mark his messages "already read" and then "delete".

My reference for tomato roots growing as deep as 10 feet is Jules Janick, "Horticultural Science", W.H. Freeman and Co., 1963. If you can find a copy of this book, see Table 6-5 on page 185, which describes "Normal root zone depths of mature irrigated crops grown in a deep, permeable, well-drained soil." That table shows tomatoes and asparagus both at 6-10 feet. At the time he wrote his book, Janick was a professor of horticulture at Purdue University.

Reply to
David E. Ross